Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTS to WSM Conversion? Pot Choices?

OTS to WSM Conversion? Pot Choices?

Does anyone have a simple tutorial of this? I just scored a 18" OTS for cheap and wanted to convert it to a smoker. Looks like the information is sparsed and not a definitive go to pot?

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Just order a middle section from Weber. It will fit and look right. Well, “right” is relative. The diameter is going to be right.
    Does that help or, am I missing something?
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Pat W View Post
    Does anyone have a simple tutorial of this? I just scored a 18" OTS for cheap and wanted to convert it to a smoker. Looks like the information is sparsed and not a definitive go to pot?
    I have a used mid section, no door, that you can have for free, you would just need to pay for shipping.

I was doing what you are attempting to do. The mid section will fit in the bowl without a problem. Your issue will be the lid. Kettle lids are designed to fit over the outside lip of a kettle bowl. The WSM lid fits inside the lip of the middle section. So a kettle lid just sits on top of the middle section, doesn’t really seal it up.

I ended up finding a WSM lid for it, and the same guy who had the lid had a bowl, so i bought both from him for $40, and another smoker had a brand new mid section, so I ended up building my own true WSM from donated, cheap parts for about $80, I had to buy the legs. Be patient and you will find a part here or there on these board, the Weber Kettle Club, and the WSM page on Facebook.

Good luck
    Green Gen3 Performer Platinum OneTouch Silver Genesis Silver 18.5” WSM

Thanks for the information, it also looks like a 30g drum would work from my internet searches. But then i might as well just make an UDS...

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Pat, here is the one you want it's a Vasconia. Go to the reviews and the second or third one the guy states he bought it to make a Weber smoker and it fit perfectly. It's also the one I have for my mini.
    I think the pot is a little over priced, maybe you can find it cheaper somewhere else.

Pat, check out CaseTs thread in this section.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?766...ant-a-Mini-WSM

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...94DVJI/tvwb-20
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 04-05-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Pat, here is the one you want it's a Vasconia. Go to the reviews and the second or third one the guy states he bought it to make a Weber smoker and it fit perfectly. It's also the one I have for my mini.
    I think the pot is a little over priced, maybe you can find it cheaper somewhere else.

Pat, check out CaseTs thread in this section.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?766...ant-a-Mini-WSM

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...94DVJI/tvwb-20
    Rich, Pat wants to convert an 18" kettle into a WSM. The pot you're referencing is for a 14" mini WSM.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Rich, Pat wants to convert an 18" kettle into a WSM. The pot you're referencing is for a 14" mini WSM.
    Blew that one I did
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Had a wild hair about interchanging 18" WSM & 18" kettle parts myself, but was concerned about the spindly legs on the kettle.

Occasionally, I see used 18" kettles for sale at low cost, and I had thought about doing some modifications to make this work. Having an ash sweep on the bottom of a smoker might prove useful. I sometimes wish the 14" WSM had an ash sweep.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Had a wild hair about interchanging 18" WSM & 18" kettle parts myself, but was concerned about the spindly legs on the kettle.

Occasionally, I see used 18" kettles for sale at low cost, and I had thought about doing some modifications to make this work. Having an ash sweep on the bottom of a smoker might prove useful. I sometimes wish the 14" WSM had an ash sweep.
    It's been done...this one with gas conversion.

No charcoal to deal with reduces the weight, but I wonder if the legs could support three to four butts.

Is that gas burner a Weber product?
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast