Thread: OTS to WSM Conversion? Pot Choices?

OTS to WSM Conversion? Pot Choices?

Does anyone have a simple tutorial of this? I just scored a 18" OTS for cheap and wanted to convert it to a smoker. Looks like the information is sparsed and not a definitive go to pot?

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Just order a middle section from Weber. It will fit and look right. Well, “right” is relative. The diameter is going to be right.
    Does that help or, am I missing something?
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Pat W View Post
    Does anyone have a simple tutorial of this? I just scored a 18" OTS for cheap and wanted to convert it to a smoker. Looks like the information is sparsed and not a definitive go to pot?
    I have a used mid section, no door, that you can have for free, you would just need to pay for shipping.

I was doing what you are attempting to do. The mid section will fit in the bowl without a problem. Your issue will be the lid. Kettle lids are designed to fit over the outside lip of a kettle bowl. The WSM lid fits inside the lip of the middle section. So a kettle lid just sits on top of the middle section, doesn’t really seal it up.

I ended up finding a WSM lid for it, and the same guy who had the lid had a bowl, so i bought both from him for $40, and another smoker had a brand new mid section, so I ended up building my own true WSM from donated, cheap parts for about $80, I had to buy the legs. Be patient and you will find a part here or there on these board, the Weber Kettle Club, and the WSM page on Facebook.

Good luck
    Green Gen3 Performer Platinum OneTouch Silver Genesis Silver 18.5” WSM

Thanks for the information, it also looks like a 30g drum would work from my internet searches. But then i might as well just make an UDS...