18.5 WSM trade

Alex James

I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking to trade my 18.5 wsm for a 22" model. It's complete and I'll include my rib rack, my PBC hanging system with 8 hooks and the upgraded river country 4" adjustable gauge. Located in southern California. Cheer guys 👍🏼

Just curious, why do you want need the 22? I have owned all three sizes. Still only have a 14. The 18 is my favorite and one day I will probably have one again. The 18 was a great brisket cooker.

I always seem to have trouble fitting all the food I want on there. I have an offset that I love but it is a fuel hog. When I cook simple butts and tri tips on my wsm, it is clutch. Set it and forget it. But anything like spare ribs or briskets I have trouble. Am I using it wrong and giving up too soon?

I cook on both. I don't know how much food you cook at one time, but I have cooked 6 racks of ribs and 16-18 lb briskets on my 18.5" (not at the same time). I roll the ribs and shoehorn the briskets. With the hanging system, you should be able to cook a lot of food at once. If you're concerned about fuel consumption, the larger WSM uses a lot more. Here's a link to how Chris maximizes cooking capacity on the WSM: http://virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html. The 22.5" WSM is a GREAT pit and I'm not trying to talk you out of getting one; you'll love it. I'm just telling you that you already have a great pit in the 18.5" WSM and it may be more capable than you think.

Yeah I figured I was giving up too soon. There's way more pros than cons based on people's reviews. I think I just need more experimenting with it. Thanks guys

This kind of thing takes time to understand how to make yourself slow down and make everything work together, it does not necessarily come easily. How many cooks have you done on the 18”?

FWIW --- I have the 22 and would love to get my hands on an 18. They get scooped up so fast near me on CL, so have been unable. The 22 is great, but a bit of a fuel hog IMO. Plenty written on this...

I have cooked maybe 5-6 times on it. I'm actually cooking as I type this. 2 slabs spare ribs and 2 tri tips. I have the 2 slabs (trimmed St Louis style) on the top rack (im using a rib rack) and the 2 tri tips and rib tips on the second rack. I guess since there's so much more space on the offset I'm used to everything laying flat with space instead of having to "Tetris" everything in to make it fit. Been running 225-235 degrees 3+ hours so far with not 1 adjustment. Can't deny the absolute consistency of this little bullet !!! 😁😁😁

I'm sure the 22 wsm will use more fuel than an 18 wsm, but no where near as much compared with an offset. I was adding a fully lit chimney about every 1.5 hrs in my offset. I don't think that will be the case on the 22 wsm.

I have never added lit charcoal once I had my fire started and never no taste problems, that might be 1 reason you use so much,

Back