Rehab Budget - 2002 Genesis Gold B LP w/SS Lid

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
I thought I'd share the Budget I have cooked up recently for renovating a Genesis Gold in average condition. Will start the minute it feels like spring. May flip to reduce the fleet, so while the parts are cheap, replacing all new. Free shipping on all via Amazon prime

o1qmXqr.jpg

Nice. Cool to see you are getting a free cook box from weber. Did you register it as first owner?
You will have a nice grill when you are done. But, I would skip the warming racks. IMO, they get in the way much more than they are used and it doesn't take long for them to start to corrode. They are not Stainless, just chrome covered carbon steel. They won't add a lot to the resale of you flip it.

I would also suggest that if you plan to keep the grill, you should go with better cooking grates. Those are good grates, but I would personally prefer Quilitmetal grates https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07DVM8KFK/tvwb-20
the rods are significantly thicker than the uniflasy grates. They are an economical second to RCP grates. But, again, if you are just going to flip it, then the Uniflasy grates are probably your best bet.

Thanks Bruce. Yes, I am the registered owner. I register every grill I get my hands on and encourage friends and neighbors to do the same. Makes a call to Weber CM so much easier whether ordering a part, or asking a question. I agree on the warming rack comments in general, they are rust buckets unless you clean em up regularly. But I wanted to try the "elevated" Weber part 7641. I've read a few times on this board that it will fit the older Genesis, I've got two keepers. If I don't like it I will return it. Probably doesn't need the new casters and the big porcelain drip tray either. Trays usually clean up good and I hit edges with HH paint.

I'm going to think some more on those grates however.

Weber doesn't balk when you submit warranties when you have all those grills registered. I know about needing to register them for C/S help at Weber, but I do know that they won't warrant if you are second owner. I used to register all my grills as well, but gave up as it got too complicated and time consuming. I just register a grill now if I plan to call C/S for information or a part.

Yes the warming rack 7641 fits. I have it on mine. But it rusts as fast as the other nickel plated warming racks. I wish there would be a SS version.
As for the coaster wheels you don’t have to use the Weber ones. I have used these. Less than $7 for a pack of two.
Shepherd Hardware 9406 2-Inch Office Chair Caster, Twin Wheel with Brake, 5/16-Inch Stem Diameter, 75lb Load Capacity, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001HYY0L8/tvwb-20
And last but not least I am not a big fan of the Uniflasy grates. I used them on one of my flipper grills. Thin rods, large gaps and welded crooked. But I can highly recommend the Qulimetal grates.

I dont know how you guys get a free firebox from Weber. Seen this several times on this forum.
My Silver B firebox has bow out and the grates are now resting on the very ledge. I did register mine, not even that they did not replace, but they had an attitude with me several times.
Im sorry, but Weber still needs to prove to me they have good customer service 🙄

For the best success ..... handle any claims with Weber online. I have had much better luck this
way than on the phone.

Mist! How did I miss those cheaper caster wheels?! Revised budget to include Caster wheel edit and Qulimetal grates instead of Uniflasy.

qbdcTC9.jpg

Note that even when buying parts on the cheap, and spending a weekend or two on the rehab, (and assuming your time is money), it is really tough to make a decent net profit on these older Genesis grills when you acquire a used grill and replace virtually everything with new parts. And that's not including paints, cleaners, steel wool etc. And add to that the cost to acquire in the first place. Nothing can "give" except the cost you pay for the donor grill, which better be close to free. I'm just ranting and now I know why I have three restored grills on my patio!

What would a 2002 renovated Genesis Gold B sell for in your market, all shiny and new? $300 maybe? $350 if you find a perfect buyer? IDK.

In Chicago I could walk into HD today and buy a new Gen II 3-burner for $399. Granted it's old stock being moved out...

The most I ever got for a Silver B was around $270. I try to replace only what is really necessary to keep my cost as low as possible. But right now the market is slow in my area. I have 2 Silver C for sale since weeks and people are not even contacting me. Too many bargains on new Weber grills right now.

Yah, $270 is about the upper limit on my Silver B rehabs as well. And like you, I try to keep from buying as many new parts as possible, but I have pretty much done so with Flavorizer bars and Grates as they don't usually clean up too well and look good to the potential buyers.

Guys I have to say that this underscores why you have to work on two very different pathways in restoring these old grills. If it’s for you, for keeps, then what you do is limited only by your budget. Do all you can and use the best components you can afford. For some here that means the whole “rcplanebuyer” treatment with his unsurpassed grates and high quality flavorizer bars. And then add a bunch of oem Weber parts. Of course, you can still have a very nice “keeper” for considerably less by substituting things like Qulimetal grates and some other better grade after-market parts.

But if you are trying to flip - and make any money - you really have to be a cheapskate and use new stuff very judiciously. Wherever possible you have to substitute your sweat and time and find low cost sources for parts you must buy. That can mean harvesting parts from otherwise wrecked grills and picking up bargains that come your way. To make any money you can’t do like I always wind up doing getting caught up in sentimentality and going all out. You gotta save that for your keeper grills.

I think the final thing is getting a handle on what sells and motivates people. I sold a Broilmaster for $450. Meanwhile there is a guy locally who is currently struggling to unload his nice condition, larger size model with new cast iron grates and fully stainless front and side trays - all for just $100! I think his failure to do a total cleaning and starting out at a low price has made his grill look unwanted. While he mentions that Broilmaster grills are very good, I don’t think his ad is convincing. So, just keeping costs down isn’t really enough. I think you have to pick the right grills and make a case why they are worth a good selling price.

Last edited:
Yes the warming rack 7641 fits. I have it on mine. But it rusts as fast as the other nickel plated warming racks. I wish there would be a SS version.
As for the coaster wheels you don’t have to use the Weber ones. I have used these. Less than $7 for a pack of two.
Shepherd Hardware 9406 2-Inch Office Chair Caster, Twin Wheel with Brake, 5/16-Inch Stem Diameter, 75lb Load Capacity, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001HYY0L8/tvwb-20
And last but not least I am not a big fan of the Uniflasy grates. I used them on one of my flipper grills. Thin rods, large gaps and welded crooked. But I can highly recommend the Qulimetal grates.

I just came across this...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07FNBFYWY/tvwb-20&sr=1-25#customerReviews

Maybe this is the one we're all looking for? And only about $2 more than the OEM one and it's stainless steel, not sure what kind of stainless but should last longer than the OEM one.

Last edited:
Oh. I think that if you really want a warming rack in your grill that 1 will be hard to beat

Back