weight of 4.3 case and other noob questions

GregC

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me the weight in grams of the 4.3 case? My school offers 3d printing at $0.10 per gram. Honestly don't know if that is a good price or not.

Also, does the heatermeter require the lcd screen/ buttons or can it be run from the base board and Raspberry pi through the interface.

Super excited to get started with this project and glad I found this forum

Greg

Just a guess.

One roll of 2 pounds can make about 6+ cases

2 pounds=906 grams=$90
Divide that by 6 and you get $15 abouts.

I'd say, it would cost less then $15.

But my numbers on how many cases out of s roll of material could be way off, but I expect it to be cheaper then $15

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me the weight in grams of the 4.3 case? My school offers 3d printing at $0.10 per gram. Honestly don't know if that is a good price or not.

Also, does the heatermeter require the lcd screen/ buttons or can it be run from the base board and Raspberry pi through the interface.

Super excited to get started with this project and glad I found this forum

Greg

You can run it from interface
But there are things you have on button/lcd you need..... like reset config.....and toggle lid open mode on/off is handy too

Also no manual output option on web ui

Web ui does 95% what u need , 95% of time. But the reset config is needed.

Last edited:
If you look at the link I posted, you can see I added a lid button to my baseboard only setup. As for resetting the config, you can just do a full wipe of the SD card and re-install the software. I don't think I've ever used the reset function.

Also, if you're logged into the webUI, you can toggle lid mode by clicking on the "Lid Closed" or "Lid Open" text on the top left of the screen.

Last edited:
I did notice that @steve_m. I will probably end up doing a full build, but I like toying with the idea of making the cheapest heatermeter possible with my current supplies.

If you look at the link I posted, you can see I added a lid button to my baseboard only setup. As for resetting the config, you can just do a full wipe of the SD card and re-install the software. I don't think I've ever used the reset function.

Also, if you're logged into the webUI, you can toggle lid mode by clicking on the "Lid Closed" or "Lid Open" text on the top left of the screen.

To use it on another wifi network, or connect directly after hooking it to your home network, reset config is easiest. If you have a pi version with external support you can change that way, but taking a case apart to take out sd card from pi zero, re image, and reinstall, put back together is ridiculous hassle.

The times i need to kill or restart lid mode is when im at smoker at low temp opening it to do something, Blower might kick on, not reach low cutoff setpoint, you can turn it off quickly , then back on as soon as lid on without needing to go into web ui to do it.

I wouldnt personally try to save a few pennies here.

Oops I just realized there were two pages to this thread so some of this is redundant.

Also no manual output option on web ui
Manual output in the webui you can get by just typing in a % as the setpoint, as mentioned in the wiki. You can also change wifi config by just putting a config.txt on a USB stick and popping it in and booting. The startup procedure will copy the wifi config off the USB. With no buttons and LCD, and no USB as is the case with the Zero W, then yeah you'd have to disassemble and change the config on the microsd card from another computer (don't need to wipe it completely, just edit config.txt).

My HeaterMeter cases in PLA weigh 70g, ABS is 60g, PETG 71g with a 1.9 "wall" (thickness of sides) and 1.45 "wall_t" (thickness of top and bottom solid surfaces). The "no LCD" case variant, which is slightly shorter is only 63g in PLA.

Back