Smoked Short Ribs

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I mentioned last weeks storm in my New York steak post. I tried to squeeze in one more cook and it didn't go well. The rain was supposed to come in very early Wednesday morning so I figured Tuesday night was looking good. Wrong. Smoked Short Ribs were on the docket and it was a toasty 33 degrees when I got them on the WSM. Two hours into the cook things were rolling along OK. Then the first drops started to fall around 5:30 PM, rapidly becoming a steady rain with some light snow mixed in. I thought about a transfer to the oven but I plowed ahead. I wanted to see how the WSM performed under these conditions. Put a foil tent over the vent on the smoker and bagged my CyberQ and finished the cook. I didn't pull the lid from start to finish, 5 1/2 hours. I didn't want to use my camera in these conditions, so there isn't much in the way of action shots. I didn't want to do the "Hot Squat", aptly named by Chris in a thread (https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72758-How-to-keep-smoker-temp-up-in-colder-weather&highlight=squat+lift) and then carry it around 10 feet in the pouring rain. The sides I did on a grill and was able to move them under the eves of the house. Here's the pic's I did take.

About 2 lbs. of short ribs on WSM, running temp. 225, pecan for smoke. Right around 32 to 33 outside. Dry brined over night and then rubbed with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub.

enhance

enhance

Did a Mac and Cheese in my 3.5 quart Lodge Combo Coo. In addition to the cooked elbow macaroni and milk, I added 4 oz. Aged (nine months) shredded cheddar, 1.5 ounces of shredded Parmesan Romano (wanted Pecorino Romano but none of our gourmet (not) deli's had it and 1/3 cup Panko. This was a half recipe. My wife and I enjoy leftovers but not for 4 or 5 nights.

enhance

Grilled up some green beans and garlic.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Snapped this shot in a big hurry. Blurred it while trying to hold the lid up to keep the bark from getting all wet, trying not to block my light and while simultaneously snapping the picture with one hand. If course the rib closest to the camera rolled onto it side. Nice bone shot! :mad:

enhance

Brief rest and then foiled until dinner.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

I guess under the circumstances they came out OK. The flavor was wonderful and will be using that rub again. I was a little disappointed with the tenderness. I usually pull the lid and check for probe tenderness the during the latter part of the cook but the rain was coming down so steadily I hated to pull the lid a few times to check properly so i just cooked them to the temp recommended in the recipe, right around 200 degrees. Once in the house I probed them and half probed really good and the rest just OK. Anyway, they were good and it was a fun cook, even though my head felt like a block of ice at it's conclusion. Thanks for looking everyone.

Wow love me some beef ribs. And those look spot on! 33* man that's a heat wave compared to where I live. Keep the great BBQ coming!

You're a tuff hombre Cliff, That's a fine looking meal considering the conditions. I've only cooked outside two or three times since December.

Everything looks tasty! I would've wrapped the less tender ones in foil and let them go a bit longer in the oven.

Beef ribs are a tough BBQ, sometimes they're tender at 190, sometimes 205+, but they always taste good

Back