How about this Summit ?

For a purchase and then conversion to NG I'd say you have some pretty good advice above.

My brother has the exact same grill. It came with the cheap stamped grates (I got him RCPlanebuyer's grates), I have rebuilt/refurb'd it twice for him over the last 10 years. The flavo bars are hard to come by and VERY VERY expensive. His were around $250 on this last refurb. On the plus side they cook very nicely, they tend to have the continuous variable valves making them easy candidates for gas conversion, they tend to have the stainless steel insert on front of the fire box as well.
That being said if you could pick it up for around $50 or less and invest in new grates and bars, you'd be into it total around $450. IMO it would still be a better grill than the new Chinese stuff

I am with Larry. This one is overpriced. If you want one for yourself, I would keep looking for a “Platinum” model with the stainless frame and cabinetry. It will probably cost you as has been stated because of the expensive flavorizer bars, but you would have a really top drawer grill. The one I posted earlier is pretty similar to this one you found but “my” seller is only asking $50.

I think these are very nice “keeper” grills but probably not likely to be able to be flipped at a profit.

My kind words do NOT extend to the current Summits:p!

I will try:(.

> Looks like it may have gone thermonuclear at some point. First thing would be a high probability of burn-through on the firebox. You could get another, but unless you decide to try and convince Weber you are the original owner and succeed in a warranty replacement, that alone will set you back a ways.

> No picture of the inside of the cabinet. I am willing to bet it is pretty rusty, and the way it sits suggests that as well. Looking at extensive resto work or more expensive parts.

> The grates can most likely be cleaned up with a lot of hard work, but if the flavorizers and burners are shot...well now we are into more money - 6 regular burners + a smoker burner's worth. (I would say, though, if you can scarf the grates and not have to deal with the grill itself that would be a no-brainer. With a cut-off tool and some work you could make some very nice grates for a Genesis out of them:eek:.)

> This thing is VERY heavy and complicated with things like an elaborate ignition system, various accessories, etc. A LOT of work and many possible things that could also be wrong.

> If you were fortunate enough to get past all this and spend, say $700 (probably very optimistic) and a lot of hours of work, what would you need to sell it for to make it worthwhile? Whatever you are thinking it is likely that there are not many buyers in that price range. It seems to me that most people with that kind of money are thinking NEW. Could be a tough sell.

Ask me how I know this stuff:mad:...You may have already seen this, but this is what I ultimately did with not one, but TWO, Summit projects I actually spent real money on:

jim2YWZ.jpg

3UJmcHL.jpg

Last edited:
You could grab it and evaluate it before you get any money sunk into it. If nothing else you got someparts there. It looks like it has a couple grill lights if nothing else

Yeah, if the lights aren't melted or badly corroded they would be a very nice pickup in addition to the grates. If you are OK with hauling it all away and parting out for free you won't lose anything. I just would strongly recommend against trying to restore.

Yeah, if the lights aren't melted or badly corroded they would be a very nice pickup in addition to the grates. If you are OK with hauling it all away and parting out for free you won't lose anything. I just would strongly recommend against trying to restore.

Heres what I know. It's propane and needs a door hinge, propane good, hinge not so much, that scares me already. I think between that, the size, and the hour each way I have come to my senses. Thanks for talking me down, just not my comfort zone.

Larry, I would. Just get close enough to grab the SS rod grates and the two Weber handle lights.

Issue is that those grates will not fit anything but a Summit. Unlike the 1st gen Summit which had commonality in sizes to the Genesis line the 2nd and 3rd gen Summit grills have no size commonality

Jon seemed to think they could be cut down slightly to fit a Genesis. If so, I would be willing to do so.

Jon seemed to think they could be cut down slightly to fit a Genesis. If so, I would be willing to do so.

Yes, I really think they can and plan to try if I am still topside by April 16:eek:! I will post my results when I give it a whirl.

Back