Blackstone flat top

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
So been wanting one of these outdoor 36” flat tops for awhile now. Then it occured to me i could have someone fabricate me one to sit on top of my gas grill grates. My question is...... what kind of steel to use? Carbon steel? How thick? 3/16th? Who could i get to fabricate it? I think i would want loop type handles on top for ez on and off the grill and mabe short sides and back to stop food from falling into grill. Has anyone done this? Any ideas? Just wondering if i had it fabricated if it would be a small fortune? Thanks for your help!!

So been wanting one of these outdoor 36” flat tops for awhile now. Then it occured to me i could have someone fabricate me one to sit on top of my gas grill grates. My question is...... what kind of steel to use? Carbon steel? How thick? 3/16th? Who could i get to fabricate it? I think i would want loop type handles on top for ez on and off the grill and mabe short sides and back to stop food from falling into grill. Has anyone done this? Any ideas? Just wondering if i had it fabricated if it would be a small fortune? Thanks for your help!!

Here ya go. Watch what he did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNAr7adtpdY&t=271s once you get past the hilarious you see he made a REALLY cool griddle

Larry, are you telling me I need a milling machine now?

That guy is pretty funny to listen to. I knew a kid in college that used to be like that. Everything was a funny analogy.

No not really but a nice heavy plate of mild carbon steel, cut to size and add a couple handles. Sand it down well, clean/season it you got one helluva griddle. I'm thinking about making one myself.

Larry, what would a 1" thick slab cut to fit a Genesis 1000 weigh? Holy crap, you are going to need hoist hooks for that baby, not handles.

I am thinking the 120lb range.

Last edited:
Yeah he does tend to go a little "over the top". I was thinking perhaps 3/8" steel plate. Certainly more than heavy enough to hold tremendous amounts of heat

LOL, then you looking at about 50 lbs for a genesis/Silver B/C and that would be workable for the average joe (or maybe two less than average joes).:)

Hmmmm, that is a good question. From what I can tell. It is not generally a component of carbon steel.

Yeah lead is not in steel. For sure though you want to find either plain mild (carbon) steel or stainless but NOT galvanized

What you really want, I think, is the very rare Weber Flat Top:

33vgt4m.jpg

They are a Summit with no lid and just wind shields around the grill. They're not flat tops in the context we're talking about them though. They're just open grills not griddles. So basically they're just 1st generation open top Summit 650. I think it's actually called a Summit 600

It is true that the Weber Flat-Top is really just a first generation Summit without a lid (similarly available with 4 or 6 burners) but with sliding covers instead. Even so, in my opinion, it is one of Weber's more creative adaptations. It was very popular in Australia where I understand you can still find used ones for sale. Not many sold in the US and even less left. I suppose it would lose its appeal after a while, but wouldn't you feel like Crocodile Dundee on the barbie using one of these;)?

a0wk76.jpg

33nvpzt.jpg

The plate in that video weighs about 41 pounds per square foot, so that joker is heavy. He did a good job though.

Not sure if it counts but back in the fall i bought a Lodge LPGI3 for $29 new. I remove the grates and put on top of flavor bars on the Silver B. Bacon and eggs taste great 👍🏻

How did putting it (skillet) on the flavo bars work out? Not something I would have thought of doing.

Back