Using Thermoworks Smoke on WSM

PDay

TVWBB Fan
Hi. I’m just smoking a ham on my WSM and using my new Thermoworks Smoke for the first time and have a question about how others use theirs.

As the food probe is at a right angle and the connection to the lead quite bulbous, how do others get it to the food as the pre drilled hole and silicone grommet is too small? I’m noticing that a lot more smoke seems to be escaping as I have threaded it between and body.

Many thanks

:smokeyjoe::blackperformer::wsm:

Many of us have cut a notch for the wires.
I did not like the grommet even with probes that would go through it.

DSCF0865.JPG

I don't have the Smoke but on my similar probes I insert the connection end through the grommet.

I have a couple of Smokes. I cut slots for both my 14.5" and 18.5" WSM's. I MUCH prefer the slot to the grommet.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Hi, I have the smoke too. Where would be the best place to put the grate thermometer? Top grate on the edge opposite of the top vents or top grate in the center or elsewhere?

Hi, I have the smoke too. Where would be the best place to put the grate thermometer? Top grate on the edge opposite of the top vents or top grate in the center or elsewhere?

If you put two temps in grate an inch apart they can read quite different. Too close to that 40 degree block of meat affects also. Away from edge a few inches, at least 1-2" away from meat imo.

A WSM only has one top vent and that's what I use. Just let the probe dangle down in one of the holes till it catches.
No worries on getting to close to a cold mass or hotter exterior, and the temp always reads 12-15 degs higher than grate.
Easy peasy and no slots or grommets.:)

Tim

Back