Bourbon Bacon

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
Just did my first batch of bacon and I’m never going back to store bought! Next round, I’d like to do a bourbon brown sugar. Can I put the bourbon in with the cure or will then screw up the chemicals reactions?

I like to dry cure bacon, adding any flavoring to the meat prior to smoking. I would probably baste the bourbon onto the meat right before smoking it, and possibly during the smoke process. Keep in mind that if you do it with the cure it may make the end product super strong. Cut your belly into 2-3 pieces and try it both ways. That's what I do when I want to experiment with flavors I haven't tried. Then if it doesn't turn out your not out a whole belly. I like to cut my belly into thirds, then cure. Then prior to smoking I cut those into thirds again. I cold smoke for 18-24 hours then let the meat rest 5-7 days uncovered in the fridge then I vac pack. I do not slice prior to vac packing as I like to have the option of using the bacon in other ways.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I do pretty much what Case said I cut the belly into thirds. I use Morton's tender quick as my curing agent and follow the directions that Bob Correll has in this forum at the top Bacon Made Easy.
I have settled in on one recipe a bacon that uses brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon along with the tender quick I make a slurry and apply it when I start the cure and it works out fine. Everybody loves the stuff.
Not knowing what curing agent you're using my only concern is how the alcohol would interact with the curing agent.

Last edited:
I just started my first attempt at bacon, cut the belly into thirds and squared up the edges so they would fit into 1 Gal zip lock bags.
The maple syrup I bought was aged in bourbon barrels and it wasn't that expensive around $8.00 for a 12 oz bottle.
I tasted it and it had a slight bourbon taste, not overpowering.

Tim

I just started my first attempt at bacon, cut the belly into thirds and squared up the edges so they would fit into 1 Gal zip lock bags.
The maple syrup I bought was aged in bourbon barrels and it wasn't that expensive around $8.00 for a 12 oz bottle.
I tasted it and it had a slight bourbon taste, not overpowering.

Tim

Tim what is the brand name of the syrup you used?

Last edited:
I love bourbon, on the rocks, and I love bacon, cooked to just short of crisp, but I do not want the two together.
Along with that, I will never put an egg on top of a perfectly good burger.
But that's just me. :)

Well I'll let you-all know how my Bourbon Maple Syrup Bacon comes out in a few days.
First try, so I can't really compare it to others :)

Tim

I don't want to hijack Eric's thread, but as a side note I was very happy with my first attempt at bacon.
The Bourbon maple syrup added a nice flavor. I already had some Praque powder #1 so I followed Meatheads maple bacon thread.
I've read threads that some have found the first attempt as too salty. I'm happy to say that wasn't my case.

Tim

Go for it!!

Just did my first batch of bacon and I’m never going back to store bought! Next round, I’d like to do a bourbon brown sugar. Can I put the bourbon in with the cure or will then screw up the chemicals reactions?

I have done bourbon bacon many times and I just mix it in with the rest of the cure stuff.
Brown sugar works great and so does honey. I also liked using honey whiskey (pick your favorite brand) I'm sort of thinking of trying it with some FireBall whiskey.

Dave

Back