New York Steaks Ahead Of The Storm

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
A big storm was predicted for us this week, expected to hit on Wednesday. I had thawed out a couple of Prime New York steaks from Costco so I went ahead and grilled them up on Monday evening.

I dry brined the steaks with salt for 6 hours.

enhance

Got the sides going first. Scalloped potatoes, misc veggies.

enhance

enhance

Steaks on.

enhance

Sorry about the smoke.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks for looking everyone.

Last edited:
Looking guud Cliff! Plated pic looks awesome.
Storm arrived here yesterday morning. Shoveled & plowed wet & heavy snow today. No complaints we need it. But running out of room to put snow.

Thanks everyone.

But I hear your storm fizzled out ??

Well, I wouldn't call it fizzling out. Early in the morning after I did this cook the rains came in. Later that evening it began to snow and continued on through the night. By our standards, we had quite a bit of wet heavy snow, probably between 6 and 10 inches and over a foot in downtown Redding. It is probably laughable to the amounts you folks to the east get, but pretty significant for us. I've got 20 to 25 oak trees that either went down or had large branches break and fall. Power outages in the area were around 21,000. What did seem to fall short of predictions was the rain that was to follow the snow over the next couple of days.

Now that we have everything lined up for Barb I thought I would take a little break and see what everyone has been up to. So what do I see, another great cook by Cliff, steaks cooked to perfection and potatoes also super nice and a great melody of veggies.
We are waiting for the storms to hit us tonight. We've been without a furnace since Tuesday waiting for a new control circuit board to arrive. It's going to get into the teens with 20 mph winds for most of next week, forecasting 8-10 inches of snow.
With two small space heaters and a gas fireplace it's going to be pretty cold at the Dahl's house this coming week.

Now that we have everything lined up for Barb I thought I would take a little break and see what everyone has been up to. So what do I see, another great cook by Cliff, steaks cooked to perfection and potatoes also super nice and a great melody of veggies.
We are waiting for the storms to hit us tonight. We've been without a furnace since Tuesday waiting for a new control circuit board to arrive. It's going to get into the teens with 20 mph winds for most of next week, forecasting 8-10 inches of snow.
With two small space heaters and a gas fireplace it's going to be pretty cold at the Dahl's house this coming week.
I could not have commented on Cliff's cook any better Rich, so I'll just say ditto!
Sounds like you guys are going to have a few 2 dog nights, stay warm!

Last edited:
I could not have commented on Cliff's cook any better Rich, so I'll just say ditto!
Sounds like you guys are going to have a few 2 dog nights, stay warm!

Thanks Bob we are going to be okay. We have two recliners in the living room where the fireplace is and we will sleep there if the defecation hits the rotary oscillator. We have two dog beds set up there so the pups will be okay, also the kitchen is adjoined with the living room so we can always fire up the oven and crack the door for some more heat.

Yes it sucks, but Barb and I have been down this road before.
Barb years ago made some blankets to watch TV with and they are super warm. We will be fine!
Fyi things are moving along and Barb is settling down as the reports are coming in and things are looking up.
My lady is scared, me too, but she is as tuff a nails and we will get through this.

Last edited:
Excellent looking meal! Love the crust o the taters!

Sorry to hear about all your oak trees, guess you'll have some good smoker wood though!

Back