Weber Grill Out Light #9057 on it's way

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Hey guys, I have a new Weber Grill Out Light #9057 on it's way to me. I am not sure how I will use it right now, but I found it about two hours away but made a deal to have it sent to me for $20 total.

https://appleton.craigslist.org/for/d/menasha-weber-grill-out-light-bar/6816335716.html

I am going to look into converting it to LEDs. I am not real sure I have the expertise, but it might give me a project to work on while I am waiting for the snow to melt and the rehab season to begin.

Good deal. Paid $23 for mine on ebay with shipping. I also was thinking to convert it to LED but somehow I have not gotten around to do it yet.

I wasn't really looking, but this just popped on a "WEBER" search I did on CL. I had seen them a couple times before, but they were always double or more in asking price. So, I figured I would jump on this one.

Great score, Bruce! I really like mine on my Skyline. Besides giving light it also puts a little more needed distance from your knuckles to the hot hood.

I bought some LED bulbs from China that are supposed to be the identical size. Couldn’t get them to light, and I stuck them away somewhere. Larry suggests that they may be single polarity and that is why they didn’t work. If I find them I may try again, but I am not sure the batteries can be put in backwards. The conventional bulbs work ok anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, Larry is right about polarity with LED's. Is there a way to reverse the bulbs in the light, rather than the batteries?

That's a great deal if in good shape! I have been tempted to buy a couple $15 - $20 donor grills I've seen in the Chi area this winter, just because they have that lighted handle - but I can tell by the photos, and the condition of the grills in general, that the batteries are probably still rotting inside them. I paid $40 all in for mine, mint in box. Have it on my Skyline 3200 like Jon but I may swap it out and put it on my daily driver 1000LX. I can keep a better eye on it, b/c the 3200 is a patio queen. Batteries were dead in about one month in this polar vortex. I will put the Durawood back on the 3200. Going to take it back to "stock" condition, Durawood tables and handle.

Can someone tell me what kind of "incandescent" bulbs are in the #9057 light?

I doubt like Larry says you would ever get LED bulbs to work it is a whole different beast on battery. Now I did install some in my microwave lights underneath since the ones they come with seem to blow out all the time. They work great but you cannot shut them off they flicker when off work fine for high and low. We just leave it at low when not cooking and they actually work as a nice night light in the kitchen they do not use much power so not like you are burning much electricity.

Well, I am going to give it a try...I will try not to destroy the light in doing so. I have swapped out all my interior lights in my truck as well as some exterior lights. I have also converted all my interior Camper lights to LED and all run great. So, I do have a little experience with them.
Is the grill light designed to be ON/OFF or is there various brightness settings?

This light has a regular switch rather than a gravity-based on-off like most newer handle lights. It is very easy to disassemble and replace the bulbs which are basically flashlight bulbs. They have markings on them that identify their type. As I mentioned, I was able to find LED bulbs of the same specs. They fit perfectly-just wouldn't do anything.

OK, Jon. Thanks. THat answers a lot. I still have an idea if that happens when I try it, but I am going to have to get the light in my hands to see how it might work and to do some testing.

OK, Jon. Thanks. THat answers a lot. I still have an idea if that happens when I try it, but I am going to have to get the light in my hands to see how it might work and to do some testing.

Bruce,

If you come up with a fix, I would love to convert mine, too. Brighter light and long, long battery life - especially with SIX 'C' batteries!

Jon, I will let you know what I come up with. I am not only interested in the much longer battery life, but also brighter light as well. Can't have too much IMO.

Jon, got my handle light in the mail yesterday. It is brand new but the box was open. But clearly, never used. I did some looking and research and from what I can tell, you need an LED with the P13.5S base and you are going to want a bulb that is rated for 4.5volts (3 D cells at 1.5V each per light) or one with a voltage range rating that covers that. There are several that boast a 40 lumen light output, but that is not much over what the incandescent bulbs put out. I ordered a single LED that is rated at 180 to 200. I like bright but it also uses 3watts of power vs the .75 to 1 watt of the 40 lumen bulbs. I only ordered one as I don't want to order two if they don't work.
This is the bulb specs my light came with: Philips KPR802
This is the LED I just ordered: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B079JWGHP7/tvwb-20

uQaLw7m.jpg

I will report back. I am supposed to get the LED bulb on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Last edited:
Bruce hopefully it works, I assume that grill light is just on and off. As I said put them in my microwave for under the counter lights cause the regular bulb did not last for crap been a year working fine much brighter. But cause it has an off low and high setting it won't shut off as it flickers in the off position I knew that when I bought them but they burn nothing for electricity so its always on low then high when cooking.

If its just on off I think it will be fine.

OH, Hmmm, i have to check if there is low/hi and off. Or just off/on. Yah, a lot of times, trying to run on lower than full power will cause the flickering with LED's.

OH, Hmmm, i have to check if there is low/hi and off. Or just off/on. Yah, a lot of times, trying to run on lower than full power will cause the flickering with LED's.

It is just on and off. I guess the polarity is the big issue, although if you swap out both it is not a cheap upgrade. Worth it for a regular use grill, though. The bulbs I bought were off brand from China. This looks more promising. Look forward to seeing the results. THANKS for you effort on this!

The LED should be here today, but I will be out of town until tomorrow night. I am anxious to give it a shot. I know the bulb is expensive, but if it doesn't work, I have other uses for it. You can get the regular 40 lumen LED's for about half that, maybe less.

Ok Jon.
I have an answer on the LED bulbs. The problem is the way the light is wired. No problem for incandescent bulbs, but reversed for standard LEDs. LEDs were not a consideration when these lights were designed. So, the solution............wait for it...........put the batteries in backwards. That's it! I will post photos tomorrow. No flicker either

Back