My current experience

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
with a diet that's going the rounds.

Many many years ago I had a great deal of success with a low=carb diet. No bread, no spuds, no POPCORN !, etc.

I was working at the time and took my own lunch. Never had so many ham sandwiches (slice 'o ham, slice 'o cheese, slice 'o ham) and pickles and sides in my life. Lost 20 lb and I managed to keep (most) of it off since.

Lately though the pounds started coming back. Leading a sedentary life style once retired, I enjoyed a bagel with my coffee at breakfast while reading TVWBB ;)

I am also a moderator on another forum so that takes up a good portion of my day. Anyone say couch potato ?

ANYWAYS, I'm getting physio for a bum elbow (too much snow shovelling) and the therapist asked "are you losing weight"?? :D

Yes I says. On the 18-6 (for me, 17-7) diet.

You fast for 17 hours and eat WHAT YOU WANT the other 7. So basically I skip breakfast (no biggie as I didn't eat breakfast b4 I retired) and eat from noon to 7pm . I've found I'm actually eating less. Also, my sugar cravings are wayyyyy down--cookies? nah. cake? nah. Just don't want them anymore.

I still have a snack (chips, broccoli with hummus, and a beer or scotch) b4 supper. Every day.

I miss the evening 9-10pm snack of some p'nuts, etc and boy am I starving at 10a.m. the next day.

No cheating otherwise you're not in "fasting" mode.

Lost 6 lb in 2 weeks.

In an aside, my wife is also trying this --support each other ya know. She's lost 0 lb so is getting a bit discouraged but is still on it. Apparently women have a more difficult time with this diet (something to do with hormonal imbalance).

If you're at all concerned about your weight (which I know is strange considering this is a food site), consider this fasting diet.

It's working for me :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder - I know how the intermittent fasting is supposed to work, & calorie restriction did wonders for me.

I gained a bunch of weight lifting weights (~20#, & you could tell), but I pretty much quit lifting & the bulk stayed and the muscle left :(

Booze is what does me in, I'm working on cutting that out again (personal reasons), I'm on day 5 :)

I need to work on my diet.

OT:

I get no craves or withdrawals, my problem is around 9:30pm I'm like "I think I'll catch a small buzz & then go to bed", then 1am rolls around & I'm like "maybe 1 more?", and I always have to get up early for work.

Luckily I don't get hangovers very often, I'm just trying to clean up my act a bit.

I'm going to try this I.F. again. Good luck with yours!

You can have as much water , black tea (green is my go to) and black coffee when you want and as much you want.

It is suggested that having cream in your coffee won't break your fast BUT a little bit is said not to cause too much interuption in the fast. If you can go without is best though.

I figured this 17 7 is best for me as I never used to have breakfast. noon to 7 pm is perfect for me. Sometimes it is even less as we eat around 5 & done by 6 so in effect I'm doing 18 6 which is even better for me.

Last edited:
I have been doing the keto thing since my wife's doctor put her on it for diabetes, and while reading this I realized I have been doing the fasting deal also because I don't eat breakfast either. I was giving the credit to the keto, but it might be the fasting instead?

so far I'm down about 45 pounds in 5 months, if I keep it up I might get down to what I didn't want to get up to!

Good stuff Steve ! 8 lb a month may be a bit much but if you maintain diet/fast eventually you will find your ideal balance.

The thing i like about this 17 7 is I eat what and how much I want in the allotted time. After 2 wk my cravings for certain foods has diminished to almost nothing and I'm not eating more to compensate.

It's due to hormonal changes and not because your stomach is "shrinking".

Last edited:
That's great. But yah, it really is hard for women. But I think your wifey can conquer it since you're there to support. Women needs that kind of support and encouragement all the time. ;)

Back