Diy wood base for 2013 S-210

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
After having used my Sawzall to cut two of the side panel to base bolts off and putting my grinder to task on the base, the more I think about it, the more I think making a new base out of marine grade plywood may be very worthwhile.
The base is the weak point on this series and the side panels a close second. The risers that the casters are attached to are just crap. They are just spot welded to the bottom of the base. I could cut those out and screw 5/4" cedar decking pieces in to replace them and that would work... for awhile. But the spot welded nuts that are used to bolt the side panels to the base are very prone to rust and very difficult to restore.

I think 1/2" marine grade or treated plywood cut to the same size... maybe the same shape with my jigsaw, then primed and painted.... or two coats of solid gray deck stain which I already have, would work great. I would use 1/4" x 1" galvanized or stainless bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts to bolt the side panels to the base in the same pattern as the OEM. Screw the casters back on and g2g.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
If you already replace the the base with a sturdy piece of plywood I would even look into getting some better caster wheels. These plastic ones from Weber like to get stuck over time. On a 2009 Genesis I restored they even came apart. But with a piece of plywood you can use a set of one like these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-in-Swivel-with-Non-Marking-Rubber-Caster-4035245EB/203672390
For my personal grills I don't care too much about looks. It needs to be functional and lasting.

Just a shame that a 6 year old grill needs a new base. Did you try to get one under warranty at all?

If the previous owner didn't register it, then you could and claim the warranty. However, their warranty states original owner, so technically, you wouldn't be eligible.

I'm interested to see what might happen here. I like the idea of using wood (won't rust) and am watching.

I'm interested to see what might happen here. I like the idea of using wood (won't rust) and am watching.

From my other thread: http://imgur.com/gallery/J11DIfx

Since I had no other project need for 1/2" plywood, I bought one of those handy cut pieces... 2'x4' and cut it to the exact length and width of the base. I took a shot glass to put a radial edge on the corners and cut them with a jigsaw. I was going to rout the edges but just decided to round them with my palm sander. I used the metal base as a template for the side panel bolt holes and used a speed bore to counter sink the hex bolt holes.
I bought 1/4" x1" galvanized hex bolts, fender washers and stop nuts to secure a side panels. Two coats of gray deck stain that was leftover from staining the deck at our beach house... so the new base will match the deck it will be sitting on!

Last edited:
Only issue I would be worried about using a wood base is that it will hold water between the wood and metal parts much more than just metal on metal and that could lead to premature rust in those areas. I would maybe do something to rust protect those areas real well.

Only issue I would be worried about using a wood base is that it will hold water between the wood and metal parts much more than just metal on metal and that could lead to premature rust in those areas. I would maybe do something to rust protect those areas real well.

Well, there are already two coats of deck stain which does seal the wood. I bought a can of this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-1-oz-Lanolin-Based-Petroleum-Oil/50335157

Which I'll use in trouble spots.

Last edited:
From my other thread: http://imgur.com/gallery/J11DIfx

Since I had no other project need for 1/2" plywood, I bought one of those handy cut pieces... 2'x4' and cut it to the exact length and width of the base. I took a shot glass to put a radial edge on the corners and cut them with a jigsaw. I was going to rout the edges but just decided to round them with my palm sander. I used the metal base as a template for the side panel bolt holes and used a speed bore to counter sink the hex bolt holes.
I bought 1/4" x1" galvanized hex bolts, fender washers and stop nuts to secure a side panels. Two coats of gray deck stain that was leftover from staining the deck at our beach house... so the new base will match the deck it will be sitting on!

Wow, that is coming along great! I'm excited to see the finished product!

Wow, that is coming along great! I'm excited to see the finished product!
Thank you Sir! Since it's pretty warm today, I'm planning on getting a bit done. I should be able to finish it by the end of the weekend. Although it really doesn't need it, I will replace the burner tubes, ignitor and FBs as I have spares and I want to get as close to new as possible :cool:

Back