Do you guyst think this one has any potential?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Do you guys think this one has any potential?

Here's a guy who has had a 2nd Generation Summit Silver for sale for a while. He has recently dropped to $50.

tzjg7pP.jpg

Lousy ad in my opinion. You can't even tell from the lead picture that hood is stainless:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/for/d/largo-weber-bbq/6797541737.html

This is NOT the current monster Summit :summits650:that I despise:p. On the other hand it still has burn-through potential, and, being the lesser "Silver" model it has the cheaper stamped grates.

zP4i836.jpg

I am really extremely unlikely to pursue this because of time/money/space issues, but I have wondered if these would ever be worth a restoration & flip at ANY price. I have passed on others, but the low price for this one that looks half-way decent is at least a little more interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah by the time you buy good grates from RC for it, the parts internally (flavorizers and igniters) are outrageously expensive for this grill. The bars are about $250! You'll be into it for $500 before you know what hit you. If the bars are in good shape as well as the front of the firebox (on my brother's there is a stainless insert there). It might be doable but you'll still be into it for a heap o money for the grates

Jon. You know better. You need to just go cold turkey on the Summits. You are just teasing yourself now. Just say NO.

Not just you. I see them occasionally, but it seems like Jon lives in Summit country.

I'd definitely take a look at it. I believe RC's grates for this would run just under $150. If the front of the firebox was in good shape, and you didn't need to do too much more to it, that would be one of the best $200 grills you have ever seen. Big question would be the flavorizer bars. IIRC, isn't this gen the one that has the complicated FBs with the welded center cross bar ? If so, those things are crazy expensive to replace and RC doesn't make them.

:rolleyes:

I hear you guys! Don’t worry I won’t fall prey to this siren, either. I do feel a little bad for the guy that he can’t move the thing even for just fifty bucks. Maybe if he cleaned it up and took better pictures.

Yes, it is true that in the areas that surround me there are almost always Summits for sale. Prices (and conditions) vary tremendously. Probably due to affluence around me that has never found its way to me:smilekettle: I HAVE learned my lesson about the current Summits, but I admit that $100 original six-burner I posted earlier appealed to my museum curator dreams. I have managed to ignore a couple Platinum second generation Summits with the all-stainless frame and cabinetry. But if a nice one of those came up close by for a low price, well...:eek:

Not just you. I see them occasionally, but it seems like Jon lives in Summit country.

I think it’s because he is searching the entire state including the panhandle. ��. But then again, there are quite a few wealthy communities in South Florida (Naples, Palm Beach, etc).

I think it’s because he is searching the entire state including the panhandle. ��. But then again, there are quite a few wealthy communities in South Florida (Naples, Palm Beach, etc).

I primarily search South Florida’s east coast, but I do sometimes look at the Jacksonville and Tampa because they tend to have the most interesting older grills. In searching South Florida, gulf coast communities like Naples and Ft Myers come up as “nearby.” I see Summits in all of these locations, especially Palm Beach County just south of me.

:rolleyes:

I hear you guys! Don’t worry I won’t fall prey to this siren, either. I do feel a little bad for the guy that he can’t move the thing even for just fifty bucks. Maybe if he cleaned it up and took better pictures.

Yes, it is true that in the areas that surround me there are almost always Summits for sale. Prices (and conditions) vary tremendously. Probably due to affluence around me that has never found its way to me:smilekettle: I HAVE learned my lesson about the current Summits, but I admit that $100 original six-burner I posted earlier appealed to my museum curator dreams. I have managed to ignore a couple Platinum second generation Summits with the all-stainless frame and cabinetry. But if a nice one of those came up close by for a low price, well...:eek:

Grasshopper, I thought you swore off these Summits but even I admit since I drink $50 bucks a week in beer and wine really can't say that you don't at least look at it. Are you willing to put the kind of money that it might need unless its a keeper and of course you need to decide what is a keeper to you like everyone else here.

First for me it was the 1000, now its the Silver C with the side burner and to be honest love to have a north south for indirect the 1000 which I had to do a double batch of wings for my daughters shower one batch on the performer and the first time on the 1000 just not a lot of room on the east west for the wings to keep the temp to 350 just using the back burner had to turn the middle on low move the wings around.

Chris,

Definitely true. This is what makes rehabbing them for profit a very iffy proposition, even if it only costs $50 - or even free. It seems that there are less buyers interested in a more expensive grill that has been restored. When you get to a certain price point it is probably true that many potential buyers start thinking "maybe I would rather have new."

Last edited:
Grasshopper, I thought you swore off these Summits but even I admit since I drink $50 bucks a week in beer and wine really can't say that you don't at least look at it. Are you willing to put the kind of money that it might need unless its a keeper and of course you need to decide what is a keeper to you like everyone else here.

Brian,

This poor grasshopper HAS learned "NO MORE CURRENT GENERATION SUMMITS - EVER!"

FsUg3HO.jpg

But, I DO still think the 2nd generation grills have some merit, especially by far the Platinum version with all-stainless frame and cabinetry:

FaCamOb.jpg

DP0czA4.jpg

Then, there is the ORIGINAL SUMMIT, the first generation version. I have never even seen one of these in person, but I sure would love to at least try one out. These are VERY cool to me, even if the burn-through issue is a major obstacle to overcome. Unfortunately, with almost no support or parts availability, they would be a real challenge to restore to their original glory:

M18EoT9.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,

Definitely true. This is what makes rehabbing them for profit a very iffy proposition, even if it only costs $50 - or even free. It seems that there are less buyers interested in a more expensive grill that has been restored. When you get to a certain price point it is probably true that many potential buyers start thinking "maybe I would rather have new."

Jon, I completely agree. People are usually picking up a rehabbed grill because they don't have or don't want to spend over $500 for a grill. The only situation I can think of is where a guy knows the Summit line and would really like one at a reduced price. But, I would have to have him commit to buying one before I would ever start one with an agreed upon price. Likely not going to happen. But, I did do that with an E3xx grill last summer.

Come on out here to IL and you can take my original Summit away. I need to install burners in it, igniters and a really good cleaning. I will say that for anything other than rotisserie (due to the N/S burners) it is about the best grill bar none I have ever used. Lack of rotisserie burner was a real short sight on Weber and also the issues with the fire box. Honestly if I didn't have the Wolf I would fabricate a new front panel for it but I have the Wolf and it's not only ALL 300 series stainless, but also has a rotisserie burner.
I tried spinning food on the Summit but it only cooks on the ends leaving the middle either uncooked or under done. Which is why the Genesis I now have is taking that spot of honor as the smaller second grill on my deck

Larry,
I wish there wasn’t thirteen hundred miles between us! Actually, not just because of your Summit but also because it would be fun to have a TVWBB “meet.” Many of you guys are all in the upper mid-west.

There is a outside chance I will be back in Chicago area this June for a family reunion. Maybe we could get something planned. If I was crazy enough to drive there with a van, I would try to overcome my wife’s objections and give your old Summit a new home:coolkettle:!

Sounds like a GREAT plan to me....................but who knows with that darn Summit...............my luck I will get it cleaned and fixed up, fall back in love with it and I'll end up with 3 grills on the deck LOL

Jon I'm curious does the 2nd generation summit with the stainless frame have sheet metal in the firebox too?

Back