Thread: Calling all Genesis II E-310 owners; opinions?

TVWBB Super Fan

Calling all Genesis II E-310 owners; opinions?

Been away from the forum, but back for some sage advice and opinions.

My old Vermont Castings LP grill is on it's last legs and I'm searching for a suitable replacement and have the Genesis II E-310 3 burner on my list.

For you that own this, do you have any comments, opinions, or warnings?

I've read and read and read reviews and user comments; most all good, a handful not so good.

The not so good include that the max temp only gets to 500F, burners won't stay lit even in a light breeze, the lid cracks easily, and it consumes a lot of fuel.

I'd like to jump on this before they go out of stock and I get hit with the much higher priced E-325.

Thanks for reading.

If you can find a good deal on last year's model, then I would say go for it. But, as I tell most who ask this kind of question, I think you could have a "better" Weber grill for half the price or less. Find a good Genesis 1000 or Silver B and clean it up and replace what internals need it and you will have a great grill that will cook as well or better than a new one and cost MUCH less. And will probably out last a brand new one. My Genesis 1000 is 25 years old and in great shape and I expect it to last another couple decades.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

I think the genesis II is a fine grill. My brother has one. He has no problems with the burners not staying out and his gets over that 500 degree mark easily.

But I agree with Bruce that if you want the best grill for the $$ then go for an older genesis 1000 or silver B. I inherited my 1000 from my father and it's still going strong and looks like it will l for many many years to come.

I can’t say it any better than a Bruce and Greg already have. A restored classic Genesis would be my first recommendation. You could buy “rcplanebuyer” grates and flavorizers, all new burners and igniter - the best you can own - and still spend less than a new grill would cost.

But, if you really want a new grill anyway, I think you will get decent service and grilling results from a new Weber. Just go the extra mile to protect it from rust. I would definitely look for a space edition model with stainless bars and grates.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

TVWBB Super Fan
    Thanks for the replies - it's much appreciated.

I guess I'm weighing the recommendations for a restored Weber vs new.

If I went the restoration route I'd bite off the effort for restoring my old Vermont Castings as it was a highly rated one and has served me well.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Hi there from a lurking newbie poster. I would love to give my opinion, but my new 2018 model E-310 is still cocooned in its box awaiting assembly (which I need to clear the snow off my deck in order to even think about doing). If you do some searching around "deal" websites you *MAY* be able to score like I did (with a little luck as well) a last-year's model Genesis II E-310 for $349 or less. I was on the fence of purchasing it when my nearby Walmart put it on clearance for $499, but I bit the bullet and grabbed it before the last few disappeared. Three days later they dropped the remaining two to $349, so I asked for a price adjustment and was approved (yay!). I have heard of some lucky people finding them marked down as low as $169 at some Walmarts (yes - $169 for a Genesis, not a Spirirt!).

I tend to agree with many long-time posters on here that the value at MSRP is debatable , but for half price it will make a worthy upgrade from my trusty decade-old Q-320 (and great companion to my 22" Kettle Deluxe and 18" WSM) Once I get it assembled and get a few cooks under my belt I'll give an honest assessment.