Calling all Genesis II E-310 owners; opinions?

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
Been away from the forum, but back for some sage advice and opinions.

My old Vermont Castings LP grill is on it's last legs and I'm searching for a suitable replacement and have the Genesis II E-310 3 burner on my list.

For you that own this, do you have any comments, opinions, or warnings?

I've read and read and read reviews and user comments; most all good, a handful not so good.

The not so good include that the max temp only gets to 500F, burners won't stay lit even in a light breeze, the lid cracks easily, and it consumes a lot of fuel.

I'd like to jump on this before they go out of stock and I get hit with the much higher priced E-325.

Thanks for reading.

If you can find a good deal on last year's model, then I would say go for it. But, as I tell most who ask this kind of question, I think you could have a "better" Weber grill for half the price or less. Find a good Genesis 1000 or Silver B and clean it up and replace what internals need it and you will have a great grill that will cook as well or better than a new one and cost MUCH less. And will probably out last a brand new one. My Genesis 1000 is 25 years old and in great shape and I expect it to last another couple decades.

I think the genesis II is a fine grill. My brother has one. He has no problems with the burners not staying out and his gets over that 500 degree mark easily.

But I agree with Bruce that if you want the best grill for the $$ then go for an older genesis 1000 or silver B. I inherited my 1000 from my father and it's still going strong and looks like it will l for many many years to come.

I can’t say it any better than a Bruce and Greg already have. A restored classic Genesis would be my first recommendation. You could buy “rcplanebuyer” grates and flavorizers, all new burners and igniter - the best you can own - and still spend less than a new grill would cost.

But, if you really want a new grill anyway, I think you will get decent service and grilling results from a new Weber. Just go the extra mile to protect it from rust. I would definitely look for a space edition model with stainless bars and grates.

Thanks for the replies - it's much appreciated.

I guess I'm weighing the recommendations for a restored Weber vs new.

If I went the restoration route I'd bite off the effort for restoring my old Vermont Castings as it was a highly rated one and has served me well.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Hi there from a lurking newbie poster. I would love to give my opinion, but my new 2018 model E-310 is still cocooned in its box awaiting assembly (which I need to clear the snow off my deck in order to even think about doing). If you do some searching around "deal" websites you *MAY* be able to score like I did (with a little luck as well) a last-year's model Genesis II E-310 for $349 or less. I was on the fence of purchasing it when my nearby Walmart put it on clearance for $499, but I bit the bullet and grabbed it before the last few disappeared. Three days later they dropped the remaining two to $349, so I asked for a price adjustment and was approved (yay!). I have heard of some lucky people finding them marked down as low as $169 at some Walmarts (yes - $169 for a Genesis, not a Spirirt!).

I tend to agree with many long-time posters on here that the value at MSRP is debatable , but for half price it will make a worthy upgrade from my trusty decade-old Q-320 (and great companion to my 22" Kettle Deluxe and 18" WSM) Once I get it assembled and get a few cooks under my belt I'll give an honest assessment.

Well, any new grill is now postponed for awhile.

With all the heavy rain we've had, I've got a leaky roof and some damage to the wood floors.

Looks like I'll be doing some cheap reno to the Vermont Casting to keep it going.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Vermont Casting makes some good products. I would expect their grills are high quality as well.

I agree with Bruce. I've heard good things about Vermont castings grills. As long as you can get parts you may find that your rehab of your old grill will make it as good as new.

Back