Carbon steel pans

Geo S

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm looking into one of these, as my 12" CI pan weighs 8pounds, and frankly, I'm having a harder time lifting the beast. The Carbon steel pans are about half as heavy, and is relatively non stick, without teflon, which I'm not a fan of.
I see expensive French pans, all the way down to cheap line cook stuff, some heavier, some light. I was told in one review that carbon steel pans are essentially the same, ie, stamped out steel.Im looking for a 12" I think, I have an old 9 "CI griswold thats not real heavy, and serves for small stuff.

So all that to ask what has anyone had experience with? brands, weights, sizes, etc., all opinions, suggestions and guesses appreciated, :)

From what ive read they require more frequent seasoning because they don't have the texture like cast to hold on to the seasoning. Just the same i have been curious as well.

I love stainless. Because when I want to I can simply throw it in the dishwasher. I managed to find myself 2 All Clad SS pans (a 10" and a 13") I also have a Tramontina 10" fully clad one. It was a nice pan in performance overall oddly though it weighs considerably more than the All Clad 10" (actually nearly as much as the 13") it does not have the same heat distribution and it does develop some slight hot spots here and there though not really badly but noticeable. And the cooking surfecae is MUCH smaller than the All Clad as well

I have a nice selection of Calphalon stainless..... 8qt stock pot, 1 & 2or3 qt sauce pans, then a 10 & 12" (maybe bigger) skillets. Only carbon steel I have is my wok & a knife. I should probably hold off on the CS skillet, especially how much I like my 12" non-stick oxo skillet.

I've had a carbon steel wok for 15 years. Never a problem getting/keeping it well seasoned. Nice and black and nothing sticks to it. I use aluminum/steel(?)
wok spatula and have never had an issue losing any of the seasoning.

Yep I have a carbon steel wok wife and I bought when we got our flat on the far NW side. Bought it at a higher end kitchen supply store I think called Chef's Catalogue way back around 1986 or so. In summer I use it on my turkey fryer burner. Talk about stir fry LOL

There is a VERY good reason for those long handles. CS pans are very commonly used in restaurants where they're pretty much always hot never really "washed" just wiped clean and kept HOT. That long handle makes the pan easy to handle especially when grabbed with a kitchen towel which chefs often do. It also allows the chef to reach the pan when it's in the back and not get too close to front pans and burners. Home cooks typically do things differently so the long handles are not typically appreciated

Totally agree with Larry! The longer handle is there for a reason.
I have one of the “Lodge” pans and I really enjoy it, it performs incredibly well! I kind of wish I had two of the big ones and two or three of other sizes but, I simply don’t have the room for more!

I’m liking my lodge carbon steel pans As much if not better than my cast-iron pans. They heat up much faster and are a bit lighter. . Very easy to clean and they season just like a cast iron I’m really impressed with them

Last edited:

Back