The Difference In Lid Sizes?

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
As I am currently finishing up a Silver C resto, I opted to replace the faded, speckled black lid
with a redhead off of a donor grill. I am also redoing a redhead 1000 at the same time. So I
have 2 red lids, and one black disassembled at the same time. I used the endcaps off of the Silver C
(no bolt holes on the outside) and just grabbed the cleanest red lid so it would take less time to
finish cleaning up like new. When I went to assemble it, it would not go together. It was off about
an inch from the endcaps. Scratching my head, I did a side by side comparison with the other two
so you can see for yourself.

l2s2HP3l.jpg

otKnRWcl.jpg

I believe the donor I used is a 700 or 900. I had no idea there was a difference.

Last edited:
Yah the Genesis 1000-5000's and Silver B's and C's are pretty much all interchangeable until later years when they changed to a more rounded hood. BUt I think the platinums and as you found out, the sub 1000 grills are different.

I can see where it would be hard to tell the difference without directly comparing them however.

Last edited:
I think because the height is slightly lower it changes the angles of the side frames almost imperceptibly so they can make the overall size fit on the same fire box(es).

Back