Do you think this Genesis 300 has "rcplanebuyer" grates?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This was an interesting Genesis 300 posted today in a high-end area 20 miles from me. A Genesis 300 that looks to have been very well cared for - no rust apparent in cabinet area:

qs9XW54.jpg

It also has some extras. The double handle lights are one obvious addition:

0OgCgRU.jpg

But, check out the grates advertised as Custom, true stainless steel grill grates made of 304 grade stainless steel that are 9mm thick.

These grates are the same diameter as the Weber Summit Grates.

84VhVmS.jpg

lhL2rHG.jpg

So, do you think we are looking at a set of "rcplanebuyer" grates? I am kind of thinking so. With those and the obvious care, this seller is certainly entitled to something close to his asking price of $310.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/d/west-palm-beach-weber-genesis-310-grill/6815556868.html

Definitely quality grates. If 304 stainless, then it doesn't matter if they are RCP grates or not. They are quality regardless. I would say if everthing else on the grill is in decent condition, then, yes, the price is decent. Looks like newer porcelain coated flavo bars.

Yes, they look like RCP grates, but who knows? If they are the specs they say, it doesn't really matter if they are or not, the grates are premium.

I'm not sure what else they would be but rcplanebuyer grates? Does anyone else make ss grates that thick? I think the weber ones are 7mm? The bbqparts grates are hefty but they are also 7mm. Unless there is another manufacturer out there we don't know about them i think they have to be rcplanebuyer 's work.

Yah, I don't know of anyone (Private or company) that makes the 9mm grates, but there could certainly be some. Regardless, they look to have good spacing and if they are 9mm 304 stainless, then I would say they would be just as good provided the fitment and weld job is as good.

While I was researching getting custom grates for my Wolf I found quite a few folks out there that would make them. Some even used some pretty different ways. I came across one guy who uses 3/8" thick 300 series stainless plate. He then plasma cuts them and quite honestly they look AWESOME but more than double the cost of what RC charged me for mine. Not that I didn't think the plate style grates were worth it just that spending close to $650 on a grill I paid $150 for was more than I could bare.
If anyone has ever watched the show on Public TV called Mexico One Plate At a Time with Rick Bayless from Chicago if you look at the grill in his backyard it uses grates like I just described. They're kinda like a cross between a plancha and regular grates. I don't recall the brand of his grill but it's one that can use gas, wood and or charcoal and all at the same time in different sections of the grill. Way cool grill I recall looking it up online and all I remember is it was in the $15k range. I think it was Kalamazoo

My grill will have cost me 29K by the time I'm done with it! I'm a softie with the old grill. I'll get her what she needs!

Not 29K. Probably an obscene, unspeakable number though.

But I grilled a beautiful chicken breast and a piece of salmon tonight, so I cannot complain.

Slainte!

Tim

Back