The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firedial

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshZ View Post
    Dustin, what do mean an air pocket with the foil? Can you share a photo of that? How does the air pocket help?
    Not Dustin, But I think he means he puts foil over his water pan. But he doesn't wrap the pan tightly. Leaving a pocket of air between the foil and the bottom of the water pan. Which keeps the grease that drips down into the foil\pan from burning.
    Burning grease is what i was after when I bought the fire dial. But I still have yet to use it again just because after that first cook with it i honestly don't like the smell. I think grease dripping down into the fire where it immediately burns is one thing. But having it drip down into a dry water pan,or on top of the fire dial is another. Like if your cooking pork you get a burnt bacon smell. And I am sure if you have enough meat on there you get a burnt bacon taste.
    That is why so far i have only tried my fire dial once. Maybe I havn't given it much of a chance. But I think my terra cotta saucer foiled and sitting on top of the dry water pan is the best way for me to go. Which pretty much does what Dustin is talking about. It leaves a huge air pocket in the water pan. So the grease that drips down doesn't burn.

Not to horn in but that's what I do when foiling my dry water pans. My foil has a concave shape when in place and I leave substantial dead air space between the foil and pan bottom. This also reduces the use of foil.

Hi All Where can I buy a Firedial & meat hooks from the same online store?
    Thanks Dan
    Shirley Fab 24 x 36 RF WSM 22--Smoky Joe Grill- Weber Hanging rack-Cajun Bandit Rotisserie-Rib O Lator-2 Mavericks 732 Thermapen KCBS Fireboard

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshZ View Post
    Dustin, what do mean an air pocket with the foil? Can you share a photo of that? How does the air pocket help?
    I'm sorry I somehow totally missed this, but Fred adequately explained it. I saw a video with Phil in Florence using a firedial on his Kettle for some reason. He may have another with the WSM. It's kind of interesting but I find that the pan works fine. I occasionally do use water, just not very often.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DBono View Post
    Hi All Where can I buy a Firedial & meat hooks from the same online store?
    Thanks Dan
    I put a link to the firedial on the very first post of this thread. Looks like they sell a meat hanger in 2 sizes also. Pushing 50 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Fred BW View Post
    I put a link to the firedial on the very first post of this thread. Looks like they sell a meat hanger in 2 sizes also. Pushing 50 bucks
    HI I have the WSM hanger just need the hooks.
    Thx Dan
    Shirley Fab 24 x 36 RF WSM 22--Smoky Joe Grill- Weber Hanging rack-Cajun Bandit Rotisserie-Rib O Lator-2 Mavericks 732 Thermapen KCBS Fireboard

Hi All Would the Firedial work sitting on the water pan brackets and hanging some ribs in a WSM 22"?
    Also where can I buy the Firedial and a couple of meat hooks from the same online store?
    THanks Dan

Hi All I just pulled the trigger on a Firedial and meat hooks..Hope the FD lives up to it's hype.
    Dan

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DBono View Post
    Hi All I just pulled the trigger on a Firedial and meat hooks..Hope the FD lives up to it's hype.
    Dan
    I think your view on all of the hype is very distorted. As far as I know I am the only person to try one in this thread,and I have only used it once,and the results weren't really what I expected. But only using it once I havn't really given it much of a chance either.
    I hope it works out for you. Let us know how it turns out

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123