Firedial

Fred BW

TVWBB Fan
Anyone tried a firedial?
https://bbqsmokermods.com/oem-smoke...untain-wsm-by.html#product_tabs_review_tabbed
I'm thinking about ordering one. It looks like you leave out the waterpan,and it lets the grease drip through while holding back direct heat. I might maybe make some brackets to lower it a couple inches since you leave the waterpan out if I actually get one.
The way I'm cooking right now,my water pan really has no purpose,except to hold my terra cotta saucer.
Just wonder if anyone has tried one. I am not finding anything doing searches.

Out of a lot of these products, this one shows at least some promise. At that price it's worth a shot. I swear a lot of that stuff is for people who just have money burning a hole in their pocket. I totally get the hinge but that door is flat out one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I prefer foiling the pan because you can make an air pocket with the foil. It seems to protect the bottom of your food slightly better.

Yea,I should probably go with the "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality. But all the hype with the drum smokers is that the grease drips down on the fire giving better BBQ flavor. And I think we can all agree there is some truth to that. It works on kettles..
In reality it might save me some foil,and a little work. Whatever I do with the waterpan,I cover it with foil. Which leaves me with a foily blob of grease once things cool down. This thing I would permanently leave in there letting the gunk just burn off. Saving me from wrapping with foil.
I can see I'm gonna dwell on it until I try it,so I might as well just order it :rolleyes:

I agree with you on the burnt drippings. I enjoy that flavor quite a bit. I know some people don't. Let us know how it works! It looks similar in principle to the hunsaker vortex plate you can buy for the wsm. I'd be a little concerned for low temp cooks.

I like that and the price is right.
I've read a few threads where members use a steel disc instead of or on top of the water pan.

Tim

I ordered it. I have a feeling it will be no more than a pizza pan with a few fancy CNC cutouts.
We will see

But all the hype with the drum smokers is that the grease drips down on the fire giving better BBQ flavor. And I think we can all agree there is some truth to that.

I have a PBC and I have WSM's. I definitely get a different taste on the PBC vs. the WSM but for my taste buds I would not say it's better. It is different, and while I like it occasionally, there are times I purposely avoid it.

Hmm I kind of figured it would be a good thing,but after thinking about it I can see where there might be too much on something like a pork butt or brisket that renders a lot of grease.

Hmm I kind of figured it would be a good thing,but after thinking about it I can see where there might be too much on something like a pork butt or brisket that renders a lot of grease.
Trim off enough fat and both should be fine.
Some of my best briskets have been on the WSM with nothing between coals and meat.
Meat on the top grate of course.

I have a PBC and I have WSM's. I definitely get a different taste on the PBC vs. the WSM but for my taste buds I would not say it's better. It is different, and while I like it occasionally, there are times I purposely avoid it.

Excellent point! It’s not necessarily “better” but, “different”! This natural human quest for “better” fascinates me! It’s not anything we can control, I am always looking for a better way as much as the next guy.
That said, I am going to be interested when you’ve had a few cooks using this, I hope it’s heavier than a pizza pan! But for $30 what the heck!
Let us all know how much the thing weighs, all the important data, like that

I would think it would be here the first of the week. I ordered it 7 days ago.
I am certain they gave me a tracking # but I can't find it

It showed up. In defense of the firedial people. I probably had it at least since last saturday. The postman put it in the front door between the door and stormdoor,and we don't normally go through the front door. And most delivery folks normally just leaves stuff on the doorstep.
But at any rate,I think it's made pretty well. It isn't a stamped pizza pan like I was afraid of. It is 1/16 Steel,NOT aluminum. It fits perfectly where the water pan would sit. Which is where I'm going to use it for the first few times. If I decide to really keep using it,I will probably make something to lower it closer to the fire. I don't think it would work very well sitting right on top of the fire ring.
I'm not sure if I will be able to try it out this weekend. We will see.
I was going to attach a picture but I'm not having much luck. It doesn't really matter because it looks just like the one on the websight:) But my first impression is I am not disappointed in the way that it's made,and I am looking forward to trying it out.:cool:

I smoked a single slab of ribs with it today. I think I can see what B Fletcher was talking about when he said there are times he tries to avoid grease dripping on the fire. The smell kind of reminds me of when i was smoking 5 slabs,and had the dry water pan foiled. The grease leaked past a seam in the foil,and I had a burn't bacon smell(and taste). While I couldn't really taste it today,the fact is I only did one slab. If it were 2 or 3 there would be way more grease burning. That is something I like with chicken. But I'm not so sure about ribs.
I will definitely try it again next time I do some ribs. It might get better if/when it gets gunked up.
But the way I'm really leaning now,is there is a reason I like my Terra cotta saucer sitting on top the water pan. It probably stays cooler,and keeps the grease from burning. I tried a pizza pan on top of my dry water pan for a while,and for some reason i didn't think it worked as good as the terra cotta saucer. Maybe the metal pan gets the grease hotter?
Iduno,I guess what I am trying to say is the Firedial works as advertised. But I wouldn't rush out and buy one unless you are sure you like the taste of grease dripping on the fire. I'm still not sure just what to think about it. I'm gonna have to try several more cooks with it before I dicide whether to permanently hang it on the wall or keep on using it.

I have been thinking about getting the Firedial but only because I am going to order their charcoal basket and reviews say you can't use the water pan because the basket is too high. I would probably put a foil pan on top of the Firedial for butts or brisket though.

https://bbqsmokermods.com/oem-smoke...harcoal-basket-for-18-5-wsm-by-lavalockr.html

Iduno. I would think there would be problems with airflow if you set the firedial right on top of the stock charcoal ring. Which i believe is what you would have to do to put the water pan on top of the firedial. The fire dial was designed to sit on the arms for the water pan. To me puting the water pan on top of it would defeat it's purpose.
(The purpose i bought it for anyway) I bought it so the grease would drip down on the fire.
If you put the firedial on top of their charcoal basket I believe you would have to leave out the bottom grate.
I have only used my smoker once since I did the ribs. I had 60 dollars worth of corned beef,and I didn't really want to experiment. I did the corned beef with my foiled terra cotta plate on top of a dry waterpan. And I honestly don't know how it could have come out any better.
I'm afraid after my first use of the firedial I am going to be reluctant to try it again. I just wasn't all that impressed with the burning grease like I thought i would be.
I am going to have to give it a second chance sometime here in the near future. I just can't decide what to try it on.

Last edited:
Iduno. I would think there would be problems with airflow if you set the firedial right on top of the stock charcoal ring. Which i believe is what you would have to do to put the water pan on top of the firedial. The fire dial was designed to sit on the arms for the water pan. To me puting the water pan on top of it would defeat it's purpose.
(The purpose i bought it for anyway) I bought it so the grease would drip down on the fire.
If you put the firedial on top of their charcoal basket I believe you would have to leave out the bottom grate.
I have only used my smoker once since I did the ribs. I had 60 dollars worth of corned beef,and I didn't really want to experiment. I did the corned beef with my foiled terra cotta plate on top of a dry waterpan. And I honestly don't know how it could have come out any better.
I'm afraid after my first use of the firedial I am going to be reluctant to try it again. I just wasn't all that impressed with the burning grease like I thought i would be.
I am going to have to give it a second chance sometime here in the near future. I just can't decide what to try it on.

I wasn't talking about putting the water pan on top of the Firedial but putting a disposable foil pan on top of it to catch grease. Firedial would set on the water pan tabs with a disposable pan on top.I don't think that would cause airflow problems. I would not use the disposable pan on higher heat cooks for chicken thighs and such.

Dustin, what do mean an air pocket with the foil? Can you share a photo of that? How does the air pocket help?

Back