The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firedial

TVWBB Fan

Firedial

Anyone tried a firedial?
    https://bbqsmokermods.com/oem-smoker..._review_tabbed
    I'm thinking about ordering one. It looks like you leave out the waterpan,and it lets the grease drip through while holding back direct heat. I might maybe make some brackets to lower it a couple inches since you leave the waterpan out if I actually get one.
    The way I'm cooking right now,my water pan really has no purpose,except to hold my terra cotta saucer.
    Just wonder if anyone has tried one. I am not finding anything doing searches.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Out of a lot of these products, this one shows at least some promise. At that price it's worth a shot. I swear a lot of that stuff is for people who just have money burning a hole in their pocket. I totally get the hinge but that door is flat out one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I prefer foiling the pan because you can make an air pocket with the foil. It seems to protect the bottom of your food slightly better.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Fan
    Yea,I should probably go with the "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality. But all the hype with the drum smokers is that the grease drips down on the fire giving better BBQ flavor. And I think we can all agree there is some truth to that. It works on kettles..
    In reality it might save me some foil,and a little work. Whatever I do with the waterpan,I cover it with foil. Which leaves me with a foily blob of grease once things cool down. This thing I would permanently leave in there letting the gunk just burn off. Saving me from wrapping with foil.
    I can see I'm gonna dwell on it until I try it,so I might as well just order it

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I agree with you on the burnt drippings. I enjoy that flavor quite a bit. I know some people don't. Let us know how it works! It looks similar in principle to the hunsaker vortex plate you can buy for the wsm. I'd be a little concerned for low temp cooks.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

I like that and the price is right.
    I've read a few threads where members use a steel disc instead of or on top of the water pan.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Fan
    I ordered it. I have a feeling it will be no more than a pizza pan with a few fancy CNC cutouts.
    We will see

Quote Originally Posted by Fred BW View Post
    But all the hype with the drum smokers is that the grease drips down on the fire giving better BBQ flavor. And I think we can all agree there is some truth to that.
    I have a PBC and I have WSM's. I definitely get a different taste on the PBC vs. the WSM but for my taste buds I would not say it's better. It is different, and while I like it occasionally, there are times I purposely avoid it.

TVWBB Fan
    Hmm I kind of figured it would be a good thing,but after thinking about it I can see where there might be too much on something like a pork butt or brisket that renders a lot of grease.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred BW View Post
    Hmm I kind of figured it would be a good thing,but after thinking about it I can see where there might be too much on something like a pork butt or brisket that renders a lot of grease.
    Trim off enough fat and both should be fine.
    Some of my best briskets have been on the WSM with nothing between coals and meat.
    Meat on the top grate of course.

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    I have a PBC and I have WSM's. I definitely get a different taste on the PBC vs. the WSM but for my taste buds I would not say it's better. It is different, and while I like it occasionally, there are times I purposely avoid it.
    Excellent point! It’s not necessarily “better” but, “different”! This natural human quest for “better” fascinates me! It’s not anything we can control, I am always looking for a better way as much as the next guy.
    That said, I am going to be interested when you’ve had a few cooks using this, I hope it’s heavier than a pizza pan! But for $30 what the heck!
    Let us all know how much the thing weighs, all the important data, like that
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast