Q1000 Side Tables

For what it's worth, here are some pictures I took (inside the house) of the Q1000 in operation with the burner on high with a new Coleman propane cylinder...

(using a flash bulb)

February%202019%20008.jpg

(without a flash bulb)

February%202019%20012.jpg

(assembled)

February%202019%20013.jpg

Does the flame look OK? I removed the burner and scrubbed it with a scouring pad before flushing the tube with water.

Here's a short video of the flames in action...

[video]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/onp1ylsizyxwavw/February%202019%20011.mp4?dl=0[/video]

Flames look nice and blue. There seem to be a few holes that are clogged. I would try using
a micro drill bit with a dremel on those if you have one.

I would not flush the burner with water unless you have an air compressor to blow it out. If you want to flush it with anything att he very least use denatured alcohol. Also do not use mineral spirits or fuel of any type K1, Kerosene, Diesel, gasoline, etc. They will leave a "film" behind. Or simply buy a spray can of brake parts cleaner. It will dry clean with no film and no residue. It will flush away any greasy dirt/deposits as well and if you don't have a compressor no need to worry about the insides staying wet. But water is a waste of time and can actually make things worse

Does anyone here use an adapter to refill 1lb Coleman propane bottles via a 20lb tank? Looks like a time and money saver if it's done right.

Thanks for the responses and links!

Rusty, I’ve seen several on here thatvrefill the smaller bottles, with good results. But I would recommend getting the adapter so you can hook your Q up to the 20 lb tank. I realize the 20 lb tank is a lot larger and not nearly as portable as the smaller bottles, but if you use your Q with any frequency at all, you’ll soon find yourself changing and refilling the smaller bottles quite often.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0012XXD4Y/tvwb-20
Good luck,
Tim

A good compromise is getting a 5lb bottle. Small and light and on a Q1xxx should last for a loooong time

I agree but those 5lb tanks are not that easy to come by and you really need to go to a refill station and not an exchange as I don't know of an exchange that deals with them.

Here is the kind of adapter that I use: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B019CND6J2/tvwb-20

Those 5lb tanks are like gold! You can buy two or three 20lb tanks for the same price. I want a 5lb to restore a first generation stainless steel performer, but I am not going to pay what they want for one.

Yah, need to find a used one on CL or FB marketplace. Sometimes people have one taking up room in the garage and just want it gone. If I ever see one, I will jump.

I scored a 30lb tank last summer for free. I have yet to refill and use it though. They are nice for less refills but I doubt they will work on the tank holder of a grill.

Last edited:
Rusty, I’ve seen several on here thatvrefill the smaller bottles, with good results. But I would recommend getting the adapter so you can hook your Q up to the 20 lb tank. I realize the 20 lb tank is a lot larger and not nearly as portable as the smaller bottles, but if you use your Q with any frequency at all, you’ll soon find yourself changing and refilling the smaller bottles quite often.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0012XXD4Y/tvwb-20
Good luck,
Tim

Thanks, Tim.

I'll definitely get an adapter hose.

A good compromise is getting a 5lb bottle. Small and light and on a Q1xxx should last for a loooong time

I was thinking along those lines just last night, but finding a used one might be a challenge unless I can find a gas-assist Performer at a fair price.

Speaking of the 5lb tanks, a local scrap yard recycles propane tanks, but the top has to be removed first. Would it be possible install a new valve on an old scrapped tank? Do these small tanks use the same valve as their 20lb brethren?

Last edited:
AFAIK they do use the same "valve" but I doubt it would fit as there is some kind of float that has to go down into the tank

Does anyone have any recommendations for a roasting rack? They seem to be popular in Australia, but Weber discontinued them in the USA (I'm told).

On another note, I grilled some prime New York Strip steaks lately on the Q, and they were fabulous. I can see myself using the Q more often.

Yep don't know about roasting rack but last night I did a Prime NY Strip for wife and me. DELICIOUS!!!!

Back