Rib stall

MartinB

TVWBB All-Star
I been getting these 3-3.25 lb ribs. They are really loin back, with bones cut short. Fairly meaty. About 1.5 - 1.75" thick in places.

Last nights 3 racks took 6.5 hrs to get done at 275. , vs as short as 3.5 hrs for thinner ribs. When i took temp at 5 hrs...155 f inside thickest part. They were wrapped for several hrs already. I bumped temp up to 300 for next hr.

Previous time i pulled them early because didnt plan for time....meat wasnt fall off bone. I was determined to get these done .

So, we ate our ribs at midnight . And they were good.

Is there a thin short probe suitable to stick in ribs? Thermoworks has a sous vide needle probe..but it doesnt have metal wire covering.

Last edited:
I never took a temp on a rib, just take them till probe tender, foiling or not.
6.5 hrs @ 275 seems excessive ( like your cooking at a false temp read)
275 gets me tender ribs in 3 -3.5 hrs and those are some thick racks from Sam's.
OBTW I don't do " Fall off the Bone"
I like tender with a slight pull off the bone.:)

Tim

Well I probably should phrase that better.
I like to bite clean off the bone basically.
I had a second probe in there so the temperature was close.
I find it hard to check the the flex of ribs that are foiled without unfoiling., And spilling all that liquid everywhere. But yeah that's a good test. But a thermometer that reads 200 is also a good test.

I did a rack of st louis cut that took 6 1/2 hours. I cooked them unfoiled. They will stall. You can put a probe in them, the trick is placing it right. Baby backs if they are thick can take a long time too. They are done when they're done!

I was determined to get these done .

So, we ate our ribs at midnight . And they were good.

Love it, you and your family are troopers. Midnight ribs! I've delayed things many times but I think around 10:30 is my record. Way to hang in there Martin. In regards to advice, Tim nailed it. IMO.

I don't check temps on ribs either. I just do the bend test. Pick up the ribs with tongs and see how far they bend. It the start to tear slightly they are done

I use a wooden skewer to test for doneness of ribs. I’ve had them go five hrs until they hit the sweat spot. Some critters are just tougher than others.

Never found a need to check for doneness. 99% of the time all we get (all that are available actually) are those loin backs (~3lb) so size is never a consideration.

4 for backs, 4.5 for spares.

They're always going to be done. It's just a matter of how tender. Variety is nice. Same thing every time gets boring; I like a surprise (but it's always pleasant) ;-)

I check for doneness by lifting one end with tongs to see how they break apart in the middle of the rack.
After three or four hours I will wrap the spares in butcher paper

However, I rarely do ribs the same way twice. Yet, I make ribs twice every three weeks or so.

Back