Think I'm going to try making Chile Verde in my instapot before long

I make green pork chili alot. I would recommend roasting your chilies whole like on the kettle till the skin turns black.
Put em in a paper or zip loc bag on the counter to steam, then peel, de seed and stem.
Adds a better flavor then starting from raw. I also roast my onion (whole) wrapped in foil with EVO drizzeled over, do the same thing with a head of garlic!

Tim

Last edited:
You know I'll be trying your way soon Tim (and I'll be searching Robert R's posts too), but tonight I went with the pork version all in the IP.

I used 2 onions, 3 pasilla, 3 anaheim, 5 jalapenos, one haberno (an uncorrected typo)...... an entire 28oz can of tomatillos (the ones at the store weren't fresh, I always try to keep a couple cans around the house). 3.16# pork shoulder, 1T ground cumin, 1T penzey's bold taco, 1T kosher salt.

It's coming up to pressure and smelling good.

In other news, I also picked up 3 blocks of cheese to cold smoke. Sharp white cheddar, sharp cheddar, and a medium cheddar.... 2# blocks each. Figure I'll halve then quarter them to approximate the size/shape of sticks of butter.

This turned out pretty good. I think I'm going to try the ATK pork carnitas recipe in this soon/next, or at least do that for tacos! Maybe I'll do half/half.

While I was shredding the pork I thought this would be a good way to use up extra pulled pork, maybe simmer only a small portion in the sauce to flavor it.

We went to a Mexican restaurant on Tuesday to compare theirs to mine & mine was better. I'm going to go to the first place I ever had chili verde burritos to compare their flavor/method/assembly to mine. Before today, I was just using the CV in a tortilla & covering it with more. Last night I melted some smoked cheese on one & some mex rice from my freezer which added a lot. I seem to prefer the flour tortillas in this but that's probably just because that's what I'm used to (used to them swelling up & absorbing the flavor).

The mex restauant we went to on Tuesday had refried beans served on the side & they tasted a little smokey like they might have had meat drippings added, very mild and I was the only one to notice it.

so next time: longer @ pressure to make more tender, maybe use a bone-in roast, look into other seasonings, and maybe use the ATK pork carnitas recipe.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72...exican-Pulled-Pork-(Carnitas)-quot-recipe-mod

51916274_10213833112043894_541186628283006976_o.jpg

52016097_10213833111123871_2772181817954926592_o.jpg

Back