Thread: Last year for wood slats and lid handle?

Last year for wood slats and lid handle?

Found an older 3 burner Genesis with a flip up table. My question is...what was the last year Weber used wood for the slats and lid handle (wood, not the gray durawood)? My dad used to have one in the 80's and from what I recall, I didn't them like that in the 90's.
    26.75", Vintage 26", Vintage 22", 22.5", PK Classic

I am not sure exactly, but I think it was in the late 90's that they completely abandoned wood. Even in the early days, though, some models had painted gray slats while others had stained wood. There was a short time that they went to durawood (special plastic) slats until the new Genesis Silver with thermoset (also special plastic) tables came out in 2000.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

My 1993 had real wood and I think it was around 1996 that they switched to Durawood.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    My 1998 Gene 1000 I bought new is durawood.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Mine is either a 97 or 98 and had wood. Isnt there an 1100 where they started with the durawood?
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

It may be possible that the introduced Durawood as an option for at least a year or two before switching over completely. If so, there may not be a clear switch over date.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    It may be possible that the introduced Durawood as an option for at least a year or two before switching over completely. If so, there may not be a clear switch over date.
    That is how I understood it. It was an option that became the standard for a little while. Then they went to the Silver in 2000 and that was the end of slats altogether.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

TVWBB Pro
    I have a 1000 which was 96 and that has wood with the wire grid on the bottom only wood on the left side. I also have an 1100 which has has the gray wood slats on the side and bottom it was purchased Date:05/15/1999 so my belief is it was a 98 model and that has wood not sure whether the 1100 was an upgraded model for that year. This grill was registered with Weber by the original owner and I had to call and get it added to my grills so I know it was purchased on that date.

Bruce might be correct there may not have been an exact cutoff date.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    In 1998 when I bought mine I believe that the standard gen 1000 had wood and the gen 1000LX had durawood, mine is a 1000LX.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."