Big 25th Class Reunion Coming UP

Andre A

TVWBB Member
Guys, I need some info on getting ready to do a big cook in late June. Cooking for about 50 people. And I want to cook a lil bit of everything. While I do have a Weber Performer, I believe the only thing I will be able to bring to the cook is a my 22 WSM. Forutnately, I will be in a house, so I will have access to an oven.

On the menu;

Brisket

Butt

Ribs

Drumsticks

Tuna Steaks

Hot Dogs and Hamburgers for the kids(maybe)

Food needs to be ready during the 4PM hour.

Game plan:

Start both the Brisket and Butt at about 6AM cook at 275. I am going to split the brisket in 2 parts to help with the cooking time. I am also going to try to get a medium size butt. Wrap and remove both Butt and Brisket and place in oven at 300, while placing the ribs all between 11AM and 1130AM. Place chicken on at 3PM. Fish will go on at about 4 when the ribs and chicken are done. Thinking about about placing ribs on bottom rack and chicken on top. Any thoughts, comments or feedback on this plan?

A few questions, Because I am using both racks I think I will use the water pan and water. I will be doing so many other things, I am prep sure I will forget to spritz here and there so I need a moist environment. Also how much meat is to much meat to have on a WSM at one time. I do not want to have a situation where there is simply to much meat on the WSM that it never really gets up to temp or simply uses too much energy to get there. Thoughts...anything that I am missing?

One thing I was always curious about when I am doing two cooks on one WSM is the smoke and adding wood chunks. is there a "Rule of thumb" as too if I should I add wood chunks when I add the ribs or should I still have some juice left from the first time I added it to start my fire.

Thanks for the advice and info in advance.

Wow, that sounds like a tall order to do on just wsm. But I think you'll be ok with the oven available. Just shift stuff to the oven as you can. I've tried to add wood chunks when I put something else on the WSM, like sausage for instance. It seems like the trick is placing the wood chunk somewhere it will actually catch depending on how burned down your charcoal is. The most I've cooked for is probably 25, though so I can't help much. I wouldn't try to do the hot dogs and burgers unless you have some kind of grill there. That time I cooked for 25 or so I would shift the burgers and dogs to the WSM to finish cooking after a sear.

Wow, that sounds like a tall order to do on just wsm. But I think you'll be ok with the oven available. Just shift stuff to the oven as you can. I've tried to add wood chunks when I put something else on the WSM, like sausage for instance. It seems like the trick is placing the wood chunk somewhere it will actually catch depending on how burned down your charcoal is. The most I've cooked for is probably 25, though so I can't help much. I wouldn't try to do the hot dogs and burgers unless you have some kind of grill there. That time I cooked for 25 or so I would shift the burgers and dogs to the WSM to finish cooking after a sear.

Yeah I realize that it is a lot. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and start using the oven during my cooks. I guess part of it was the Machismo of say that I cooked it for 12 hour on the smoker. But when time and space is an issue then I have to do what I have to do to get the job done.

I guess another option would be to purchase a smaller smoker or perhaps get a smoker attachment for my Performer. I still have the smokenator so I could go with this option. Or I could purchase one of the newer gadgets. Thoughts?

That looks like it would be a fun get together. I'm a newbie, but will second the concern that it might be lots of material to do all at once on a single WSM.

If I was doing it, I'd be ready with extra coals and add throughout the cook, while the smoker has still plenty of heat.

You mentioned tuna steaks, will you be doing them in the same smoker? From what I've read (and my experience grilling), the mixing of drippings and smells in the same environment may not be appealing.

Good thing is, You have plenty of time to plan it out. Enjoy.

I'm absolutely the same way. I wanna keep things on the smoker as well, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I've got a slow n sear and I really like it. I also have a smokenator and I gotta say the slow n sear is just a way better design. I'm not sure how much room it gives you, but it's a cheaper option than maybe a cajun bandit ring and if you could have both the Performer and the WSM at the cook it gives you a lot more options. You might get on craigslist and look for a regular kettle if room is the problem. It might be too much of a pain to also transport the performer. I'd try to have the butt and brisket resting in a cooler a few hours ahead of time and that gives you plenty of room for everything else, and less to juggle.

Last edited:
Guys, I need some info on getting ready to do a big cook in late June. Cooking for about 50 people. And I want to cook a lil bit of everything. While I do have a Weber Performer, I believe the only thing I will be able to bring to the cook is a my 22 WSM. Forutnately, I will be in a house, so I will have access to an oven.

On the menu;

Brisket

Butt

Ribs

Drumsticks

Tuna Steaks

Hot Dogs and Hamburgers for the kids(maybe)

Food needs to be ready during the 4PM hour.

Game plan:

Start both the Brisket and Butt at about 6AM cook at 275. I am going to split the brisket in 2 parts to help with the cooking time. I am also going to try to get a medium size butt. Wrap and remove both Butt and Brisket and place in oven at 300, while placing the ribs all between 11AM and 1130AM. Place chicken on at 3PM. Fish will go on at about 4 when the ribs and chicken are done. Thinking about about placing ribs on bottom rack and chicken on top. Any thoughts, comments or feedback on this plan?

A few questions, Because I am using both racks I think I will use the water pan and water. I will be doing so many other things, I am prep sure I will forget to spritz here and there so I need a moist environment. Also how much meat is to much meat to have on a WSM at one time. I do not want to have a situation where there is simply to much meat on the WSM that it never really gets up to temp or simply uses too much energy to get there. Thoughts...anything that I am missing?

One thing I was always curious about when I am doing two cooks on one WSM is the smoke and adding wood chunks. is there a "Rule of thumb" as too if I should I add wood chunks when I add the ribs or should I still have some juice left from the first time I added it to start my fire.

Thanks for the advice and info in advance.

One thing I may change now that I think about it and to save some time, would be to hang the ribs. First off I am only doing about 4 racks of ribs, six at the most. I have hung ribs in my WSM before and they do coock quicker, plus the hanging effect looks cool. The only thing is that I can't control the heat. Maybe I have simply used to coal to start and the juice dripping just drove the fire crazy, or perhaps I used to many ribs. I think I hung about 9 racks at once. Either this would speed up my cook by atleast an hour.

Back