Another Summit disaster...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I had to show you guys this one. A perfect example of why I will NEVER try to restore one of these 3rd generation Summits. This one is advertised on CL for $675. The write-up says rotisserie capability and All in good condition working condition.:confused::

Wg9hyRM.jpg

OK...What about the wheels? Frame parts holding them wouldn't be rusted off by any chance? Door has an interesting angle...

You can see more here:

https://ocala.craigslist.org/app/d/belleview-webber-grill/6809638608.html

Probably $50 or so for parts. Grates, grill light, roto motor, thermometer. I don't see much else there worth salvaging.

Looks decent on the outside, but like a lot of grills for sale, they seem to not want to let you see inside the fire box or the cabinet. I wonder why that is?

Stefan, I've seen your grills on craiglist as I pick up Dallas area stuff. I've seen people try to copy your prices and try to sell junked out grills at the same price as your restored ones which is pretty funny. That Summit you linked actually looks like it might be in really good shape (Not counting the cut and pasted ones). I wouldn't pay 999 for it.

Well this one just showed up in my area. Looks like the seller has no clue what he his selling. Picture shows a Summit S-620 as far as I know. 6 knobs only but per description the grill has a sear burner, rotisserie burner and a smoke box burner. He or she just copied the product description from some sales site.
And it is a "bargain" at $999. Price not negotiable.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/app/d/azle-propane-gas-grill/6812511729.html

Seller will have to dream on...

Looks decent on the outside, but like a lot of grills for sale, they seem to not want to let you see inside the fire box or the cabinet. I wonder why that is?

That is especially true with these monsters. I actually went back to our maintenance shop scrap pile with the idea of pulling the knobs after what you had posted about them. Even they were corroded. I walked away. Fugetaboutit!

It is a crying shame to see all that worthless Stainless Steel in scrap heap. But, that is the reality of the situation. It was "halfway" done right. Too bad you can't grill on half a grill.

Yep. But cool news! Guess what popped up on CL right here 3 miles from me in Hobe Sound? A beautiful Q2200 with a new regulator, new thermometer and 20lb tank adapter hose. Better yet it comes with the classy cart that looks like the one from the Q3200 but I believe allows you to just lift it off to take it on a picnic or trip.

$140 is no giveaway, but I think very fair since it looks like it has had very light use. The cart at our local Ace is $109 by itself! Not looking to flip. I am going to at least check it out.

https://treasure.craigslist.org/for/d/hobe-sound-weber-q2200-gas-grill/6813033223.html

Jon: That is really nice grill but I think you can do better if you are willing to wait and do a little cleaning and rehab. If you just want a Q2xxx and don't want to deal with cleaning and rehab work, then that is a very good deal. But, I know you wan't to put your signature on it somehow.

Maybe offer $120 and consider painting the lid a cool color. It looks like it has a couple chips in the finish. It is a 2014 grill by the way.

You probably won't be surprised that I jumped on it. The fact that it was so incredibly close factored in pretty heavily. Just have no time for road trips of any length during this extra busy season. (That's a good thing, too, or else I would have one less justification for ignoring that ultra-cool 1st generation $100 Summit! I don't know what I would ever do with it, but I would love to see what makes it tick and try it out just one time...)

The grate on the Q2200 is in excellent condition, and it is overall very clean. New regulator, thermometer and adapter hose. Ready to cook on for personal use. But, yes, maybe this summer I would love to make it into a redhead;)! First I have to figure out what else is going to go to make room for it. I wish I didn't have Weberitous so bad!!! So many cool grills, so little time and money:eek:!

One other thing. I confirmed that this type of cart DOES allow you to just lift off the grill for a road trip (no bolts). Looks like a 3200 sitting on your deck with a place to put the large tank but still travels easily! You can, of course, if you want go back to a small tank for easy use on a picnic, too. Tough to beat in my opinion.

Last edited:
One thing I don't like about that cart Jon. It's a PIA to move the grill. I actually had one like that. Had I kept it I would have made a way to bolt the grill to the cart.

Larry,

I can see that. It does have its own handle, but it is true that the grill is just set inside. I expect it to mostly stay pretty much in place. I like that it hides the tank and looks "finished" when at home but is still ready for you to easily take your grill on a picnic.

Yep, I like that cart and setup for the Q2200. Unless you moving it around a lot, I would rather have it easily removed. Those stands are much nicer than the fold up stands but they are not really a portable stand so likely, if you are taking the Q on a trip, the stand will stay home.

Everything is a trade off. For me, taking it on a trip or picnic would (unfortunately) be a fairly uncommon event. So I would rather emphasize how it looks and works at home. But if I had the liberty and ability to take frequent trips/vacations, then the fold-up stand would probably be a better option. I had that on my first Q (a 200) and it was totally fine. I never did get to take it anywhere, though:(...

I have foldable stands for both my Q200 and Q100. I use the 100 in the camper for camping and could just set it on the picnic table or portable table I bring along, but it always seemed to take up too much room. The foldable stand allows me ability to place the grill in a convienient spot out of the way and leave space for the other cooking gear on the tables.

THe worst thing about the portable stand however is the lack of a rack for the bulk propane tank.

Back