A Q that may not be worth $35

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here is a what looks to be a Q200 for sale near me for $35. It is the first one I have seen with a dented lid. Oh, and check out the improvised handle:

LL9oSkH.jpg

Here is the complete listing on OfferUp:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/624570036/

If the grate is in as good a shape as it appears, maybe this one would at least make a good "parts grill"

Rusty, if you’re in the hunt for a q, that is a great one to get. It looks like it has hardly ever been used. The q-1**** series is the smallest, but if you’re just cooking for 2-4 people, it’ll be just fine.
Good luck,
Tim

I bought it for 50.00.

One thing though, how high is the flame supposed to get? As high as a Genesis model?

I had some trouble getting the flame to wrap around the tube, so I removed it for a good cleaning. This model has no thermometer, so I briefly inserted the tip of my ThermoPop in the side vent and saw the temp rise above 400°, but the pop shaft was getting warm, so I removed the thermometer to prevent damage.

EDIT: Is there a way to clean out the regulator (if needed), and can you unscrew a 1lb can of propane without losing the contents? (rookie question here)

Last edited:
Rusty, great score on the Q! Regarding your question about the flame height; I think you’re looking for between 1/4”-1/2” flames. I can’t help you with the question about cleaning the regulator, as all I have ever done is remove the burner tube and give it a good cleaning about once a year. Good luck, I hope you love your Q as much as we love ours.
Tim

Flame height is not really much on a Q. Usually only about 1/4" from the burner. Pay more attention to the continuity of the flame and color. If they're off the burner needs cleaning or the regulator may be going bad. No the regulator cannot be cleaned or taken apart. The Q2xx had a lit of regulator issues but I would hope that is resolved in later versions. Even so they're not expensive if it is bad

Back