Bratwurst Wraps with Onion-Sauerkraut Filling

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
WEBER-We have made this recipe several times. Last time for a family get together and it was a big hit.

Bratwurst Wraps with Onion-Sauerkraut Filling

4 fresh bratwurst (1 lb.)
1 12 oz. bottle of beer
1 cup chopped onion
2 TB vegetable oil
1 lb. fresh sauerkraut, rinsed and fully drained
2 TB sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
4 10" flour tortillas
1/4 cup honey-Dijon mustard
4 slices smoked Swiss cheese

Place bratwurst and beer in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let bratwurst cool in beer.

In 10" frying pan cook onion in oil over medium heat until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add sauerkraut, sugar, salt and red pepper; mix well. Continue cooking for 5 minutes to blend flavors.

Place bratwurst in center of cooking grate. Grill 5 to 6 minutes or until browned and heated throughout, turning once halfway through grilling time. Split each in half lengthwise.

Place 1/4 of sauerkraut mixture down center of each tortilla. Place 2 bratwurst halves on top of filling. Spread 1 TB mustard on bratwurst and top with a slice of cheese. Fold two sides of tortilla over cheese; fold remaining bottom and top halves of tortilla to close. Place tortilla wraps flap side down on grill; grill 3 to 4 minutes or until browned and heated through, turning once halfway through grilling time.

Source: Weber

Last edited:
What kind of beer?

I usually don't like Swiss as much, but I've never had smoked Swiss.

I have an indoor smoker which I use for smoking cheese. Maybe I can use it to smoke Swiss and see how that turns out. Does Costco sell Swiss?

Any particular kind of bratwurst? Should I get it from the butcher section of the grocery store?

Also, if you have any pictures of the recipes you post, that would be helpful. Sometimes seeing it helps me decide on if I want to make it, and it gives me an idea of how something should look.

What kind of beer?

I usually don't like Swiss as much, but I've never had smoked Swiss.

I have an indoor smoker which I use for smoking cheese. Maybe I can use it to smoke Swiss and see how that turns out. Does Costco sell Swiss?

Any particular kind of bratwurst? Should I get it from the butcher section of the grocery store?

Also, if you have any pictures of the recipes you post, that would be helpful. Sometimes seeing it helps me decide on if I want to make it, and it gives me an idea of how something should look.

Arun, you know as much as DH did when he made this. You will have to ask Weber those questions.

Is DH your husband?

Ok, Costco.com says it has Swiss Cheese. I will try to find it in a store.

For the beer question, I guess I'm trying to figure out, light or dark?

If anyone has any suggestions as to which one, that would be great.

Is DH your husband?

Ok, Costco.com says it has Swiss Cheese. I will try to find it in a store.

For the beer question, I guess I'm trying to figure out, light or dark?

If anyone has any suggestions as to which one, that would be great.

DH is computer talk for Dear Husband and DH said he used Guiness. That's all he remembers. So sorry I have not been much help with all your questions. But I do thank you for checking out the recipes I have posted. I hope you have found some that you will like to make. Keep checking, I have lot more recipes to post. lol

Guiness, thanks. You've been helpful.

I had one more question in the "Ray's Florida Marinade" thread:

:)

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77572-Ray-s-Florida-Marinade

I think I'll try these, in this rough order:

* Ray's Florida Marinade
* A Delicious Summer Drink
* Strawberry Shrimp
* Chicken wings with a garlicky glaze
* Bratwurst wraps

Arun, thank you, that is quite a list. You have been most kind. I hope you enjoy them. Please let me know. Joan

Arun, thank you, that is quite a list. You have been most kind. I hope you enjoy them. Please let me know. Joan

I bought the ingredients.

A few questions, as I noticed how different stores labeled things "bratwurst".

Is there a difference between a bratwurst, and one of the other sausages? Like andouille? I see Andouille is Cajun spiced. But do you think this recipe would still be good with a different sausage too?

I noticed that different stores didn't have similar spices to their "bratwurst" either. So I'm just asking what I should look for, next time.

I ended up getting a stout for the beer, similar to @Joan's recommendation.

I couldn't find a container smaller than 32 oz for the sauerkraut. Actually, now that I see that this recipe calls for 1 lb. of it, I don't feel bad anymore, since I'll be using half of it.

I got 4 links, which totaled 1.41 lb. So I guess I'll be adding about 40% of each ingredient to the recipe.

This was great. I'm surprised I never heard of anything like this before.

I also used my indoor smoker to smoke the Swiss, and that came out great too.

How do I form the wrap? For the first one, I just went with how I thought it would be done, but I couldn't get the sides to close.

For the second one, I watched a video on how to form a wrap. But the video assumes that the filling inside will be soft, not something stiff like sausage halves.

I can fold the sides, but then when the video says to roll the bottom, I can't do that because of the stiff sausages.

What I kind of end up doing is folding the sides, then grilling that side down, then turning it upside down and grilling the other end.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post pictures another time.

Hi Arun, I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Wish I could be of more help, but that is DH's job. lol I stay out of the kitchen when he is cooking.

But do you think this recipe would still be good with a different sausage too?
A Polish sausage (Fresh) or Kielbasa works well with kraut.
I'm trying these friday with johnsonville brats.:)
I like my kraut sweet/mild so I do that Bavarian style.

Last edited:

Back