Ambient probe vs food probe for monitoring cooker temps

J Robb

TVWBB Member
I’ve never had an ambient temperature probe, and have just been using 2 separate food probes to monitor the cooker temp and the meat temp. Is there enough differences in the accuracy of the ambient vs food probe to warrant purchasing a dedicated ambient probe? I’ve compared my 2 food probes side by side and there’s very little difference so I’m assuming they are reasonably accurate. Thoughts?

Hmm... That's a very interesting question. I don't know what the technical difference is between the two. Some people sell ones that they call a hybrid. My thinking is that there's no way it's THAT big a temperature difference between the two. Generally the ambient probes come with a grate clip.

Last edited:
I've never thought about it either. Some of the thermo manufacturers offer detailed specs and FAQ's regarding their probes, temp variations, etc., so perhaps you could check their web site.

My original Mavericks had one food probe and one temp probe, my CyberQ n& DigiQ do as well. But my newer XR-50 has four dual use probes and, I think, that is what all Maverick replacement probes are as well. Other than the blunt end, and shorter length, on my temp probes, I doubt that there's much difference.

"Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." (D. Miller)

BD

My original Mavericks had one food probe and one temp probe, my CyberQ n& DigiQ do as well. But my newer XR-50 has four dual use probes and, I think, that is what all Maverick replacement probes are as well. Other than the blunt end, and shorter length, on my temp probes, I doubt that there's much difference.
BD

Here's what Fireboard has to say concerning this question with their probes:

https://www.fireboard.com/support/

Sounds like there is little difference in the sensors, and maybe most newer units come with dual use probes. One of the reasons I asked is I’m considering buying a dual or multi-probe unit and think it might be better to have the probes able to do either instead of a dedicated ambient. Especially if it’s only a dual probe unit. Maybe if I had more than 2 probes it would make sense to have one just because it’s compact and easier to place.

It’s far above my pay grade to have such intricate equipment for temperature reference. I seem to get by just fine with a meat probe and grate temp probes. I figure ambient temperature is either too cold and windy for me to want to know or, it’s perfect weather for smoking delight!
Maybe I’m misssing something but, air temp is going to be what it will be, that isn’t very easy to control so, why over think that?

Maybe I’m misssing something but, air temp is going to be what it will be, that isn’t very easy to control so, why over think that?

The ambient temperature probe i was referring to is for measuring grate temperature. Some dual/multi probe thermometers come with a dedicated grate (“ambient”) temperature probe.

I'm sure they use the same thermistors. They'd have to the work in the same ports on the main unit. I think it's all in the shape of the probe. A blunt end is probably better at reading ambient, but it's hard to jam a blunt end into meat. Someone go ask the heater meater guys!

My question is "where" to measure ambient air in the cooker. You don't really want the probe in contact with the grates, pans, side, or top.
Best I've been able to do so far is measure center top and bottom grate, then average.

My question is "where" to measure ambient air in the cooker. You don't really want the probe in contact with the grates, pans, side, or top.
Best I've been able to do so far is measure center top and bottom grate, then average.

Near the meat you're cooking, but not too near it.

Definitely not above it with heat coming up from the bottom the meat will block it.

It's definitely hotter below it as well.

That pretty much leaves next to it.

But not so close that you're being affected by the meats temperature

But, then again, it really doesn't matter too much.
Anywhere from 220 to 300 works.

Last edited:

I hope I can explain this, as I sometimes tend to overthink the simpler things;
I place my temp probe on the same grate as my food is cooking on. Almost all the time on the top grate. If I’m using both grates, I still place it on the top grate. I lost my clip to keep the probe from laying on the grate, so I took a 3” x1” piece of hickory and drilled a hole in it. It has worked perfectly for a cpl years now. I place my meat in the center of the grate, and the probe I try to put at least 4”-6” from the edge. I don’t want my probe at the outer edges of the grate because it is definitely a lot hotter on the edges and might give a misleading temperature reading. I hope this helps,
Good luck and just have fun,
Tim

according to ThermoWorks, the meat and air probes are the same other then shape, in other words, the temp registers the same no matter where or what your probe is in or on.

according to ThermoWorks, the meat and air probes are the same other then shape, in other words, the temp registers the same no matter where or what your probe is in or on.

Thanks

I could not imagine there would be much difference

Yea, a meat probe is longer ( so you can hit the center of a roast) and obviously you wouldn't use a ambient or grate probe to do that.
As far as to where to measure temps? I like to use the top vent, just let the ambient probe "hang out".
That temp is usually 12-15 higher than grate temps, and since your reading the exhaust no worries on getting too close to the colder mass or hotter edge.

Tim

My concern was using the meat probe for an ambient temp.

Well they both read the same, my point was that since it's longer, trying to find an ideal spot on the grate could be a problem, esp if cooking something that fills the grate.

Tim

My concern was using the meat probe for an ambient temp.

Well they both read the same, my point was that since it's longer, trying to find an ideal spot on the grate could be a problem, esp if cooking something that fills the grate.

Tim

All of the Maverick replacement probes I've seen are "dual purpose" which means that they all look like their food probes. pointed and long. I agree that the disadvantage is placement of the loger probes, especially on one of the smaller Webers (i.e., 14" WSM).

My XR-50 (a joint venture between AdrenalineBBQ and Maverick) comes with four probes, two longer food probes and two shorter ambient temp probes. But, both of the shorter probes are also pointed, so, in theory, I guess you could use all four as food probes or temp probes.

BD

Back