Genesis ll thoughts

The 310 is a good choice if you want to run the rotisserie, as is the 325. The 325 has more BTU's than the 315

I think time will tell on that. Most guys are in the older webers were better camp. Having only looked at one in the store, they look fine. I rebuilt an old Genesis 1000 and I love it.

How about the quality of the grill itself? I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something that feels cheap and flimsy.
The 300's are "entry level" grills as is just about any grill < $1K

If I were staying under $1K, I probably would buy the Traeger Texas Elite 34 in Bronze for $900 at the Home Depot. The pellet grills can do a lot of cooks that a gas grill can't.

ymmv...

Considering buying a new genesis 310 and was wanting opinions from owners.

Like all grills of this ilk if you want GOOD rotisserie (IOW properly done not just for the same of "spinning" something) you need an old E/W genesis or at the very least a grill with an actual rotisserie burner. If all you want to do is grill burgers, chops and chicken parts and anything much more than that is not on your radar I am sure they'll perform fine. HOWEVER you have to ask yourself how much you really feel you need/want to pay for simple grilling. They are VERY over priced IMO for an over seas made one

If I were staying under $1K, I probably would buy the Traeger Texas Elite 34 in Bronze for $900 at the Home Depot. The pellet grills can do a lot of cooks that a gas grill can't.

ymmv...

Pellet grilling are pretty compelling. I am still in the experimental stage with mine, a Rec Tec “Bull” that I bought from a guy who was moving out of state and who had only used it four times. So far, I really like it, but I want to use it more and then report more extensively. I can say, though, that it is no threat to my Weber gas grills. It is much more a replacement for my Green Egg and to a lesser extent my kettles. Even so, I would never be without a kettle grill.

If you are interested in pellet grills, I for sure would look hard at Rec Tec. I think they are worth the slightly higher price. Here is a link for the “Bull.” You can also checkout You Tube videos comparing Rect Tec to Traeger and Camp Chef. I know there are better built pellet grills if you have thousands to spend, but I feel Rect Tec is a lot like Weber used to be as a family owned company with a love and commitment to a quality product that they are always improving. The Bull so far really impresses me with its build quality (key parts made of 304 stainless) and the reliability of the electronic controls.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/bull-r...MI_s6hmo-h4AIVzrXtCh1lmwYFEAQYASABEgJUDfD_BwE

2i40mo.jpg

Last edited:
How about the quality of the grill itself? I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something that feels cheap and flimsy.

I have 2 older weber genesis grills myself. They are simple, almost bullet proof, and Cook very well. So I'm in the camp that the older models are best.

BUT I also have a brother with a genesis II. I've used his grill and cooked on it numerous times. I think the quality is great especially compared to the other grills out there. He loves his grill. He's had his genesis II about 18 months I think. Not a long time but long enough to tell that it looks like it's going to hold up just fine. The genesis II is expensive but not really any more so than the older weber genesis were in their heyday when purchased new.

ymmv...

Honestly it's a sham (no I did not mis-spell that word) that they would move production to China, lessen overall quality from previous generations, yet make a so called entry level unit that closes in on $1000. Much like many other old marques they're trading on the "name". Much like SnapOn (which has fallen in quality severely), and many others.
OP it's your $$$$ and of course you can do with it as you like but no way I would part with that kind of coin for one. Much better off buying an older one and restoring it or some other higher quality product.
But again I guess if you have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket and love the "name" go for it. I can think of better things to do with a grand :D

Yah, the Genesis II is a great grill but not $699 good (and now even more with the new models). I have one but was able to take advantage of one of the Walmart clearances and got it for under $200, however, it is now collecting dust as I also have 2 of the older model gassers that were rehabbed and use both of them more so the Genny II may go up for sale soon.

I have 2 older weber genesis grills myself. They are simple, almost bullet proof, and Cook very well. So I'm in the camp that the older models are best.

BUT I also have a brother with a genesis II. I've used his grill and cooked on it numerous times. I think the quality is great especially compared to the other grills out there. He loves his grill. He's had his genesis II about 18 months I think. Not a long time but long enough to tell that it looks like it's going to hold up just fine. The genesis II is expensive but not really any more so than the older weber genesis were in their heyday when purchased new.

Greg,
You have said it well. I think almost all of us agree that an older Genesis is the way to go. Solid build, made in USA and great cookers. Your comments about brother’s Genesis II are especially helpful, though, because they are based on real life experience rather than assumptions. I am glad to hear that after 18 months he is still happy.

I heard some good reviews on the 2019 Genesis II models which bring back the sear burner option. I know of someone who owned a 2018 Genesis 440 LX and was never really happy with it in regards to temperature. He now traded it for a 2019 Genesis II 435 and is very happy. Supposedly Weber had some slight design changes on how the lid closes against the firebox. And of course the sear burner.
If there will be sales again in fall this year when various big box stores might have them on clearance I might get persuaded on a E330. lol. Unfortunately Weber does not seem to offer the 4 burner Genesis with sear station and open cart version any longer. Only with a closed cart. But only if the price is right.

I agree. You can find a good Genesis 1000 or Silver B for $50 pretty easily if you are willing to look and wait a little bit. Clean it up, do some repainting, fixing and replace all the internals (Grates, flavorizer bars and burners) with some good stainless steel replacements and you can have a great cooking, grilling, rotisserie grill for about $200 that should last you another 20 years.

Otherwise, keep your eyes open for a last year's model on clearance: I know this is an E410 for $779.00, but it shows you might be able to find a good deal on a new grill.

BBcRIgO.jpg

Last edited:
I moved from a 2001 Genesis Silver to a 2018 Genesis II e410.

The build quality of the new grill is completely fine. It's hard to compare a new grill to something that's 18 years old with various upgraded bits and pieces, but the new grill feels solid, and is head and shoulders above most of the other stuff for sale in the store. It gets as hot as my old grill and I've got no complaints in how it cooks.

The new grill also has a 10 year warranty on everything. That, combined with the good discounts that have been available, made it an easy decision to move to a new grill for me. I love the extra space of the 4 burner as well.

I moved from a 2001 Genesis Silver to a 2018 Genesis II e410.

The build quality of the new grill is completely fine. It's hard to compare a new grill to something that's 18 years old with various upgraded bits and pieces, but the new grill feels solid, and is head and shoulders above most of the other stuff for sale in the store. It gets as hot as my old grill and I've got no complaints in how it cooks.

The new grill also has a 10 year warranty on everything. That, combined with the good discounts that have been available, made it an easy decision to move to a new grill for me. I love the extra space of the 4 burner as well.

Good to hear from someone who owns and uses a genesis II.

...but the new grill feels solid, and is head and shoulders above most of the other stuff for sale in the store.

That would be my limited observation as well. No, I don’t think the new Genesis has the rugged, simple build of the classic ones many of us here love. A restored one of those would still be my choice and my recommendation to most others. But, if I was buying a new gas grill, Weber looks like the best choice among the big box brands it competes with.

I don’t like the offshoring to China, and I am sure George :george: wouldn’t, either. But up against the other Chinese-made mid-level competition, Weber grills still seem more solid and certainly more stylish than ExpertNexCharWhatever alternatives. I haven’t tried the math myself, but I do think a new Genesis II is comparably priced to an early Genesis similarly equipped- AFTER taking into account inflation. Others have done some math to confirm this.

Yes, I do not doubt that Weber makes way higher percentage profit now because of offshore production, and I can see why that is aggravating. As a buyer, though, my concern is primarily price and product comparison among what grills are available today. If you have lots to spend, there are certainly better made high-end choices if you can afford them, but for mid-America Lowe’s/Home Depot/Menards offerings, I think Weber still wins.

$800 today would have been worth about $475 in 1995. I don't know what a basic Silver B cost back then, but I am guessing, it was in that price range.

With the discounts that were going on, I ended up paying about $60 more for the new grill than I did the old in unadjusted dollars. The e410 was on sale for $560 and the Silver was right at $500 if I remember correctly.

I had no issues with the Silver. I'd upgraded the flavorizer bars to nice stainless a few years back, replaced the igniter a few times and the regulator once. The grates were getting close to needing replacement, and the where the grease tray connected to the firebox had cracked. Our family had grown as well, so I started looking at 4 burner Summits to refurb, but they were expensive and prone to rust, and the new ones were on closeout - so easy decision.

I'm not a fan of Weber outsourcing to China, but given the dynamics of the market today, it's hard to fault them. Large retailers like Walmart, Amazon and Home Depot own the customer, and the customer responds to price (just like I do). Most will look at "5 burner, stainless steel, infrared blah blah blah" Nextgrill for $199 that will rust out in 12 months and think it's a much better deal than a Weber Spirit for $300 that will last a decade or more. Same with the charcoal grills. The Kettle for $99 will last 10 times longer than the cheap grills for half the price, but I"m sure they sell a lot more of the cheap ones.

pGI06KM.jpg

Last edited:
A Genesis 2 (not the new II:rolleyes:), which was just the basic grill with a left flip table and a right top table only, went for $479 in 1986. Converted to 2019 dollars according to an online calculator that works out to $1,098 today. I think that says at least something about today's pricing being comparable (maybe less) - even if they are making a lot more money by outsourcing to China.

Back