Weber Summit Charcoal Tips?

Alex Spurlock

So I’m a long time pellet grill smoker. Been cooking on Rec Tec’s for Brisket and pork butts and Webber Kettle for steaks for past several years.
However I’ve been looking for a Kamado for a while and honestly wanted a Summit Charcoal but didn’t want to pay 2 grand for it. But my local dealer sold me a show room model with the cart for $1100 so I jumped on it.

Any tips I should know? I did a pork butt today on it with some Apple Wood Chunks and it turned out good. Just learning how it holds temps ect on the first cook. It used about little less than 2 chimney full of charcoal. I plan on getting a Slow N Sear for it soon. Any other tips or things that are worth getting would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think a ton people have them just because they are so expensive. They are amazing cookers though and if money were no object, I'd get one. I don't know if the slow n sear is that necessary for it, because you have a heat diverter. Also you have the ability to raise the charcoal grate for better searing. I've got one for my kettle though and I love it. I'd use minion method with your charcoal. Maybe light 12 briquets and fill the rest of the charcoal grate with unlit and see how it goes. You might need the ash rake occasionally if your temp starts dropping. I would imagine they are similar in efficiency to a kamado.

Back