Specialty Wood - How Much in the SMC?

Ken Hendrix

Anybody using wood chunks from a specialty supplier such as Smokinlicous, Maine Grilling Woods, Carolina Cook, etc.? If so how many chunks is typically needed in an 18" SMC? All I have ever used in the Weber is a couple of chunks from the big box stores and Im curious if it is the same for specialty woods as well since they are typically different in terms of how they are cut and moisture content.

I use two (2" x 2" x 3" ) from Smokinlicous. I usually halve or quarter them.
That's perfect (for me) for smoke flavor.:wsm:

Tim

This thread shares some detail as to my awesome experience with a specialty vendor vs. retail: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73202-Fruita-Wood-Supply-new-baby-steps-needed&highlight=fruitawood
I've placed several additional orders with Fruita since that post and LOVE it compared to what I used to buy from Amazon, HD, Lowes, etc.
BFletcher- Thanks for the link. That was very helpful and some interesting reading.

I use two (2" x 2" x 3" ) from Smokinlicous. I usually halve or quarter them.
That's perfect (for me) for smoke flavor.:wsm:
Tim

Tim- thanks for the info. I think that will help get me on target. The wood I bought is from Smokinlicous also.

Last edited:
I source my wood locally, we have an abundance of hickory and pecan here. Occasionally I run across some oak.

But whether I'm looking for splits for the stick burner, or chunks for the WSM, its all local.

Back