Replacement Lid, Middle Cooking Section, Firebowl?

AndyC

TVWBB Member
I've had my WSM for about 6 months now, and am starting to think about some mods like the lid hinge, getting a BBQ Guru and cutting a dedicated hole for the adapter so I can still use my vents without it if I want, etc.

...but I'm worried about what happens if I booger it up.

I know Weber has a great warranty, but I don't think this sort of thing would/should be covered, and I want to know up front the cost of an "oopsie."

Can anyone tell me whether or not those parts are available for purchase separately from Weber, and if so, how much they run?

Thanks ahead!
Andy

I have a brand new center section that I don't need and it's taking up space. It does not have a door. You can have it if you pay for shipping. I'm in Houston.

Thanks folks! Sorry if I didn't express myself well. I haven't actually tried any of these mods yet. This was sort of a pre-emptive "If I try and I screw up?...how much will it cost me?" ...I wanted to make sure a mistake wouldn't mean having to replace my whole WSM.

...but it sounds like there are lots of sources out there for replacement parts if I do!

Andy, don’t jinx the project, keep the “Positive Waves” in the forefront! (I love “Kelly’s Heroes”)
A free center section for the shipping sounds pretty generous. Go ahead and do the modifications, be careful and take your time, thinking it through before starting and it will be fine!

Adaptor is removeable. No need for dedicated hole. You can plug it and run on only two vents as well. So TRY that first. Youl probably find no need to butcher your bottom. Cros that bridge if it comes to it.

A few small holes wont ruin lid either. Worst case plug with screws, turn and re drill in other location. Shoot black paint on screws and your the only one that would ever notice

Now, im going to suggest you investigate the heatermeter with a damper as well. Nothing wrong with bbq guru, but the functionality and support for heatermeter blows the others away, IMO.

Last edited:
Adaptor is removeable. No need for dedicated hole. You can plug it and run on only two vents as well. So TRY that first. Youl probably find no need to butcher your bottom. Cros that bridge if it comes to it.

A few small holes wont ruin lid either. Worst case plug with screws, turn and re drill in other location. Shoot black paint on screws and your the only one that would ever notice

Now, im going to suggest you investigate the heatermeter with a damper as well. Nothing wrong with bbq guru, but the functionality and support for heatermeter blows the others away, IMO.

I agree with this sentiment. It’s just metal. Anything you do can be fixed. It won’t be perfect, but it will cook food just the same. After a few or several years of experimenting you will have figured out what works and what you like. You may want to get a new one then or find some cheap parts. Worry later. Experiment and enjoy now.

After looking at Martin’s mods, his mindset is on “make things work for your style” and what he’s done is pretty well thought out. At least to my way of thinking. Unless something really goes sideways anything you can do is usually correctable. Don’t worry too much, just keep on the lookout for a “spare”! Not necessarily for a parts unit but, for the day you realize you WANT the second smoker!

After looking at Martin’s mods, his mindset is on “make things work for your style” and what he’s done is pretty well thought out. At least to my way of thinking. Unless something really goes sideways anything you can do is usually correctable. Don’t worry too much, just keep on the lookout for a “spare”! Not necessarily for a parts unit but, for the day you realize you WANT the second smoker!

I've got a Smokey Joe that I've had for about 20 years. Used to have it at my hunting camp. I believe it's destined to become Mini smoker.:)

I have a brand new center section that I don't need and it's taking up space. It does not have a door. You can have it if you pay for shipping. I'm in Houston.

If the OP is not interested, I may be interested. I have been slowly building a WSM out of an older kettle, and the center section i have is out of round, and the lid doesn’t fit on it correctly. I’ve tried to bear hug it back into round, but no luck.

Thanks

If you make a mistake you can fill a large hole with a metal plug and a small hole with a bolt. Personally, I don’t see the need of a temp controller unless you’re doing competitions, but that’s your call.

If the OP is not interested, I may be interested. I have been slowly building a WSM out of an older kettle, and the center section i have is out of round, and the lid doesn’t fit on it correctly. I’ve tried to bear hug it back into round, but no luck.

Thanks

It's yours if you want it.

It's yours if you want it.

Sure Ill take it. When you get the chance if you can message me the box dimensions, so I can figure out the cheapest way to ship it.

I assume it is an 18", if its a 22" I have a kettle that it would fit on too.

Thanks

Last edited:
Personally, I don’t see the need of a temp controller unless you’re doing competitions, but that’s your call.

It makes it EZ, consistent
You can leave it alone for hours , it compensated for ash buildup and reduced coals near end .

Reduces in/out traffic tracking mud onto kitchen floor in cold damp weather to make adjustments

But with my heatermeter, adjustments can be made from bed, when its cold and raining out. Jack temp up to get thru stall? No problem. Give it a new setpoint and go back to what you were doing.

Theres no going back. :wsm:

It becomes so easy to use....you will use it more.

If all cooks are short and in daytime, in nice weather, and you attend them.....yeah, not as important.

Last edited:
I understand Martin. ...but I don’t see a reason to cook overnight and my smoker is seasoned to the point that it doesn’t need a lot of adjustments when I leave it alone for long periods of time.

Don’t get me wrong, I used to have an ATC years ago but sold it to a competition BBQer on this site when I decided to learn my cooker to the point I quit using it. I don’t even use the Mav that’s been on the shelf for years.

Just old school stock analog thermometer, unmodified, naturally aspirated cooker. Set it and forget it. The voyage is as important to me as the destination. I like to be a part of the process vs setting a computer.

Last edited:
Just old school stock analog thermometer, unmodified, naturally aspirated cooker. Set it and forget it.

tenor.gif

The only modifications that I have done to my WSM's is to cut a slot for the remote thermometer. I am a REAL believer in a remote therm (first I had a Maverick but now I have a couple of Smokes). Otherwise, I run 'em as they came!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back