Pork Belly advice

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
Stepping into the world of pork belly this weekend; never prepared one before!

I’d like to make two things: pork belly sliders and pork belly burnt ends.

What are the schools of thought re: fat vs. no fat on the burnt ends? Obviously the skin will be removed but I’ve seen recipes that call for the fat to stay and render slowly or completely remove it...which, in your opinion, is best?

Also, plan on using the other belly for sliders, fat on and scored. Hoping it’s a slam dunk!

Thanks all and dare I say Go Pats?! ....I know I know, Patriots fatigue for 45 other states!

Some good references in this thread, including two links to I posted for good recipes:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72220-Pork-Belly-Burnt-Ends

If you're going to make sliders, you can season and smoke the belly to an internal temp of 205°F, let it rest until you can handle it, and either slice and serve as-is if you like the looks of it, but more likely you'll want to slice and sear on a hot grill or cast iron skillet/griddle.

I've always liked the fat in my pork belly, whether making bacon or sliders.
Haven't tried the burnt ends. Yet.

I have never heard of removing fat from a pork belly, for burnt ends or anything else. No matter what I am doing with a pork belly I always leave the fat on and try to keep as much on as I can when I skin in. Tweak a little bit from time to time but pretty much do the same as in the links.

36143188425_28307b265a_b.jpg

36143188245_0fbaaea66d_b.jpg

36143188335_58cc70b2eb_b.jpg

36102870926_9d898a2cc9_b.jpg

36102870496_96501c9dca_b.jpg

Never done pork belly sliders however I can tell you that if you take some of those burnt ends and cut them up smaller, add to some thick bread with lettuce and tomato no one will complain. At least that I have fed them to.

35993860372_6868f951aa_b.jpg

Wouldn't have to use the lettuce and tomato and could use rolls, that is what I would do. Nah I might use rolls instead but the lettuce and tomato really set it off well.

I tried the burnt ends last weekend. Five pounds of belly reduced to nothing pretty quick with three guys eating. My brother asked the butcher to cut the belly and I think the cubes could have been a little larger, but it was still very tasty. Over all a pretty simple and cheap way to do burnt ends.

Back