Mystery of Intermittent Lost Connection to HM - (seems to be solved)

Darren C.

TVWBB Pro
I just wanted to pass this along for anyone who might be able to connect to their HM one minute and not the next. The short story is that I changed routers. I moved from an Asus AC3100 to a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000.

The back story is that I have had intermittent connection problems with my HM for a very long time. It was the only wireless device out of many (including other Pis) that would give me trouble. Logic would put the blame on the HM. I thought that one day it would get sorted out in an update. I sort of stumbled onto the solution when I bought a Sonos Connect. It gave me a lot of trouble, similar intermittent connectivity. Sonos support was helpless. So, I swapped it out for a Yamaha WXC-50. It was also giving me very similar, if not worse, symptoms. At this point, I was thinking router setting. But, Yamaha couldn't figure it out. And, a call to Asus was an exercise in frustration. So, upon Yamaha's suggestion, I picked up a router to see what happened. It not only solved my Yamaha problem but it seems to have fixed my HM problem, as well.

There might be a setting on the Asus that would have fixed all of the connection issues. If so, I don't know what it would be. But, I just wanted to throw this out there for others who may be having connection problems.

Last edited:

Back