Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater Meter Newbie Help

Heater Meter Newbie Help

I am looking to go the Heater Meter route for my Large BGE. I would welcome suggestions on which hardware should I buy.
    I want to go with the 4.3 version.
    I plan to have it in a wifi environment (dual band 2.4 & 5.0) and will not require wired ethernet. Therefore, am I correct that I need to get the Pi Zero W?

Thanks in advance

TVWBB Pro
    Yep, Pi Zero W is a great choice. It's small form factor works well with the HM.

Ok great. I am assuming that I will not need to get a wireless adapter since it is integrated into the PI.
    So the only parts I need to order is the HM 4.3 kit, the Pi Zero W, an SD card, power supply and a case?
    I about forgot, the 1x40 Pin Male Pin Header also

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty "V" View Post
    Ok great. I am assuming that I will not need to get a wireless adapter since it is integrated into the PI.
    So the only parts I need to order is the HM 4.3 kit, the Pi Zero W, an SD card, power supply and a case?
    I about forgot, the 1x40 Pin Male Pin Header also
    The pi zero w comes with header installed from adafruit for $4 more...

Also lan cable, probes, blower, damper

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    The pi zero w comes with header installed from adafruit for $4 more...

Also lan cable, probes, blower, damper
    What brand of probes are recommended?

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty "V" View Post
    What brand of probes are recommended?
    I hate to say it but there's a page on the wiki that can explain it far better than I can. It really depends on what you're wanting to pay. And do you have the thermocouple option. The thermoworks pro thermistor probe or the ET 72/73 probes are good choices. The thermoworks thermocouple that suitable is kind of pricey it's $50. There's a cheaper options just depends on what you want, and sometimes where you work haha.
    Last edited by MartinB; 01-29-2019 at 05:09 PM.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I highly recommend Thermoworks Pro probes over Maverick....
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Should I get the kit with or without the thermocouple? I plan to use the HM for low & slow cooks.
    Last edited by Scotty "V"; 01-29-2019 at 08:47 PM.

I think you would be happier with the thermocouple. It is more durable. The thermistors are protected by the meat. Eventually you will get a flame up and it will burn out the pit probe if it is a thermistor. The thermocouple has a better chance of survival. The down side is you have to stock two different spare parts.
    Joe Widmayer

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I second the TC decision, mainly because of the high heat tolerance and durability of the TC compared to a standard probes. I do use the HM for medium and high heat cooks as much or more than for low and slow, and killed too many standard pit probes along the way. The first TC I purchased is still working years later! TC's can also be cheaper, and there is a huge variety to choose from.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast