I was just invited to cater my cousin's son's wedding with 2 other cousins/relatives

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Looks like I'll be cooking up some Pulled Pork, Ribs, and probably shredded beef for my cousin's son's wedding on 3/15, it's been a while (2011) since I did this (alone that time) for my other cousin's wedding.

She asked for 3 of us (cousins/relatives) to have a friendly competition to feed the group of about 100 people.

Does Costco have case-pricing for ribs? She was mostly interested in ribs (her son's favorite).

I'm not sure what other sides there will be but it's a big family and there won't be a shortage of sides....so if I suggest anything else it'll only be coleslaw and a few sauces like Miss Piggy Mustard Sauce & #5.

Last edited:
What style of shredded beef would be best for a 100 person crowd?

Suggestions on meat totals and menu planning?

How many racks of ribs? How many pounds of pulled pork?

I have a Restaurant Depot card, the bark on your clod looks good! We're trying to get a basic game plan now, we have 1.5 months until the big event, but that'll be here before we know it.

timothy, that's a very interesting read. Gonna have to spend some time tonight with that looking over a couple of cooks I've done in the last year.

Clint, I've supplied the protein courses twice in the last year for about 70 people each time. 2 whole packer briskets, 2 pork butts and 4 whole chickens seemed to work nicely both times with happy stuffed people and leftovers. Can't help you much on ribs, but I'd expect 1/3 to 1/2 rack per person as the main protein (adjust as necessary.)

do you think Brisket would freeze & reheat well? I suppose it'd be best to simmer in the vac bag slowly, sous vide style, for several hours then slice as fresh.........or just do HH & start it around 10am day-of. I'd really rather do most everything beforehand so long as quality isn't sacrificed. Sounds like a good this weekend test for me :)

They're planning to eat around 6pm on Friday March 15. I know ribs & pulled pork reheat well, and I've had frozen ribs reheat that tasted as good or better than on day 1.

I’m pretty sure Costco does case pricing, should not be a big deal.
I’m fairly sure I’ve done my last job for over fifty, I just don’t have the stamina for it like I used to. Six weeks will go really fast, trust me! Get the legal pad out and start making your lists, that’s the only way I seem to be able to maintain sanity when doing large number projects. Have fun, the gentle competition will be fun. I’ve learned to plan on NOT winning then when I do (always party fun settings nothing “real”) it’s really fun!
Yes, do a test run this weekend and make some notes, yellow legal pad, and then you will have a little better idea of when things will time out.
Best of luck and keep us all in the loop!

As a wedding photog I will say... may God be with you, lol. But I know enough about your expertise to know you and your team will pull it off with flying colors. Since I've never catered, I cannot offer food for thought.

Last edited:
Great link, @timothy. Those estimates pretty much align with my experience, at least for briskets & butts, so I'll assume the rest are on target as well.

I would assume that Costco has case prices, if only because Sam's does. As far as pulled beef, I love doing Chuck Roasts. I get them cut to about 4 lbs. each and cook them just like pork butts.

BD

BBQ Rib Sandwiches is a good way to go when cooking for a crowd. Just score the meat on the bones when you first put them on, so that it's easy to remove the bones

I see that you're in the Salt Lake City, UT area...you can also check out Smart Foodservice (formerly Cash n Carry) for cases of meat.

did a practice run today, I used Franklin's rub (2 parts 16 mesh pepper to 1 part kosher salt) & the flavor's good, but I'm going to look to Chris A's or Kevin Kruger's rubs for a more memorable experience.

I cooked @ ~225-250, 3 hours in the smoke, then 1 hour in foil, then 30 minutes back in the smoke.

For the big event I want them to be a little more FOTB (fall off the bone). Not crockpot style, but I want a little less tug/texture.

*next time I think I'll try 2 hrs in the smoke, 1.5 - 2 hrs in foil, then back on the grill for ~30 minutes.

***edit: I almost forgot! I ordered a 175' roll of pink butcher paper like Franklin uses today. Can't wait to try that.

52703783_10213902563340133_2671346306651258880_o.jpg

52766747_10213902564340158_4792376778628792320_o.jpg

51874723_10213902567100227_1520825194841636864_o.jpg

53262033_10213902568220255_3016797033143992320_o.jpg

52774238_10213902568620265_3954068719444951040_o.jpg

Last edited:
JJust picked up a “BOGO” deal on some ribs and dropped them in the freezer, I think I might need to do them next weekend! Or pick up another round of them and do a BIGGER rib fest as soon as the weather breaks a little bit.

Last edited:
The event is this coming Friday @ 6pm.

I've cooked 9 racks (and eaten 1.5 :) ), I have 6 more racks to cook (gonna give a rack away before the reception).

One of the other guys has 12 racks of spares & says he's going to do 45# pulled pork.

I'm not sure what other meat to do - I went through the suggested clod thread, I've considered doing a couple briskets, or maybe ~20# of PSB. I don't have a ton of time, and I have 1 or 2 more rib cooks, so that's 1-2 nights this week.

I just ordered a sous vide machine, figure I'll pull the ribs from the freezer & into the fridge the night before, then have the SV heat a brew kettle (tall stock pot) with my ~12 racks in it to reheat, then maybe slap them on the grill for looks.

....I think my cousin thinks I have more free time than I do :)

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2848-Pepper-Stout-Beef

2 cooks so far:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76828-6-racks-of-baby-backs
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76849-3-racks-of-babybacks-(round-2-5)

Last edited:

Back