Snow blower recommendation's.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My 18 yr old Troy built 2 stage can't handle it anymore. PITA to start even with an lectric start and I can throw snow farther with a shovel than it can.
I'm in the market for a new one. I like the newer joystick control compared to my old crank, and adjust the height of the throw by hand.
Power steering and heated pegs are all new to me and something I'm not really interested in.
I went online and read a ton of reviews, but what I really want to know is what you folks like or dislike cause I feel I can trust you more than what I see on the web.:)

Tim

I have a little Honda HS621 and that thing has some power and throws snow all the way across the street

I picked up a used Ariens dual stage snowblower probably 12 years ago - it doesn't get the snow all the way to the concrete, it leaves maybe 1/2". It's adjustable and that might be good for a gravel driveway, I even blow a walkway across my grass in a couple of places...and it'll hit ~14" of snow no problem.

I see the snowblowers my neighbors use that have rubber paddles that get all the way to the concrete.

Before I bought mine I looked online & found a forum called OPE.com (outdoor power equipment) but I don't see the same one - I did find this:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/

Clint, your Ariens is almost certainly better built than timothy's Troy-bilt. Adjust the shoes, rest the cutting edge on a couple of dimes and the shoes on the ground.

Timothy, if your engine isn't rebuildable (and should be with nothing more than common hand tools,) you might be able to get a replacement engine. Oddly enough, I've not heard bad things about HF Predator engines.

When I bought my 'blower 10 years ago, I looked at the joystick models, and decided to avoid those, not enough mechanical advantage to turn the chute. I have a rotating handle (maybe 5 turns lock to lock,) and a separate handle to control throw. No heated hand grips, no electric motor to turn the chute or elevation, just a relatively simple 28" 2 stage. It did have a harder time starting this year, I'll probably put a new plug in next summer when I change the oil.

Yep it just seems like your engine is tired. A new Predator from HF is inexpensive and should have you moving snow like a champ. Honestly for my situation, just a driveway about 25' x 40' and my front concrete patio the little paddle type does a fine and very fast job and it's easy to store. I had a little MTD 2 stroke but I stumbled on to this Honda HS621 for a song. Sadly I hit concrete with it the first year I had it and broke a weld on the auger. But, 2 years ago or so I discovered my "issue" while I was installing new rubber paddles and scraper. My good friend that used to live next door had a wire feed welder and he got it welded back up for me. I am looking for another auger though but the little machine can move snow so far and fast it's amazing. Very stingy with fuel also as most Honda engines are. My only real complaints with it are 2. First the handle is bare metal no foam grip and the cold penetrates into the thickest gloves pretty quick but than it moves snow so fast not too bad an issue. Second when the rubbers wear down a little it begins to let you know by clogging a little easier. New rubbers takes care of that.
Not me but a short video of the same one I have against some heavy snow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LigNaW5ZG1M

Yea you'll find it will cost you twice as much to rebuild the motor as to replace it by the time you factor in machine shop work and so on unless you do a simple hone and re-ring and let it go at that. But you may find that once that engine has compression the bottom end may come apart due to wear and tear

Thank's guys!
This is the one I have.https://www.troybilt.com/equipment/...001_ntk_cs%253A%2522Grease%252FOil%2522#parts
I like the idea on replacing the motor ( if my son can't fix it) I think I only paid 1/2 price back then, it was CL out and my wife worked at lowes so they gave her a discount.

tim

I've only done a little engine work (a few pistons, cam, etc).

You might see if there's a top-end rebuilding kit, or maybe just a replacement piston & ring set. Link the schematic & I or someone else will help you look when I have a little more time.

I'll typically replace the piston, rings, there's an arm that connects the piston to the crank that has bearings on each end of that. For my stihl concrete saw, I picked up a top end rebuild kit (new head, piston, rings, etc) but haven't installed it yet. It was cheap though at maybe $70 for the kit.

Small engine repair shops might be willing to talk to you, my neighbor had good luck a month ago where they didn't have the parts he needed but found them on ebay (iirc) for him. I replaced several parts on my honda mower to freshen it up last summer.

Troy-Bilt Snow Thrower 31AS6BN2711
31AS6BN2711

Features
Model

600 SeriesTwo Stage
Engine

Tecumseh752T067514195cc

Clearing Width 24 Inches

If it seems to run smoothly but down on power try just throwing a head gasket on it. Many times on these little flat head engines the head will loosen slightly and the gasket will partially burn through. It's like a $5.00 part and an hour time. Be aware though once the engine has compression (assuming it's low now) you may hear some very frightening knocking sounds from the engine and don't be surprised if the bottom end of the engine is badly worn and begins knocking very badly. Best thing then is a trip to Harbor Freight and a simple engine swap. Tecumseh engines have never been known for being very long lasting anyway.
BTW if it was slipping belts you would hear squealing and such

Dad had am Ariens. Older machine it was pretty nice BUT still had the weak Tecumseh engine and of course that damn thing threw the rod. They're just pretty weak engines. I find Briggs, Kohler or Honda FAR better. Don't know if they're putting better engines on the Ariens yet.
Otherwise if you're hell bent on a new machine look also at Simplicity. In either case (Ariens/Simplicity) the mechanicals will be much stronger with the tractor portion being gear driven and overall heavier builds than the likes of what comes from MTD (parent of Yardman, MTD, Cub, Toro) perhaps a few other ones. Though they are made in Richfield MN so I will give them that. Simplicity in Port Richie WI not sure about Ariens but I think WI also

Hey, thank's everyone! I'm headed to HF to pick up a preadator, only $ 120.00 so that ain't bad and will get me thru this winter.

Tim

There ya go. That'll keep ya gong for a few more years really. They're not bad little motors. Actually nearly exact copies of the Honda GX series engines

The swap out wasn't a perfect fit, shaft on the OEM motor was 7/8" and the new one is 3/4" so we had to buy what is called a shaft adapter/coupler to make pulleys work.
Mounting holes are pretty close, but we might have to ream them a bit .

Tim

Dad had am Ariens. Older machine it was pretty nice BUT still had the weak Tecumseh engine and of course that damn thing threw the rod. They're just pretty weak engines. I find Briggs, Kohler or Honda FAR better. Don't know if they're putting better engines on the Ariens yet.
Otherwise if you're hell bent on a new machine look also at Simplicity. In either case (Ariens/Simplicity) the mechanicals will be much stronger with the tractor portion being gear driven and overall heavier builds than the likes of what comes from MTD (parent of Yardman, MTD, Cub, Toro) perhaps a few other ones. Though they are made in Richfield MN so I will give them that. Simplicity in Port Richie WI not sure about Ariens but I think WI also

Tecumseh went out of business, or at least stopping building small engines several years ago.

A former employer did business with Murray of Ohio. Cheapest lawn equipment I knew of, you couldn't pay to me to have any of that. I thought Murray was part of the MTD empire.

I have a Toro Power Curve ELECTRIC snow blower. I have only used it once, and
am quite happy with that. (Happy with the blower, and happy to have only used it
once.) :)

They sell for about $250 retail. I picked up mine 3 years ago from a CL add on
a 100-degree day in August for $50 from a guy that was moving. He had only used
it once also.

We don't typically get enough snow here on a yearly basis to warrant me buying a gas
thrower. I wouldn't have even bought this one if I couldn't hang in on the wall in my
storage shed out of the way.

Back