Mini Chicken Chinichanga Bites

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I needed an appetizer last weekend, and everyone will probably need one this Sunday. Here's a simple super tasty one that I made for last Saturday.

You will need to precook the chicken ahead of time. I cooked mine on two days before.

This recipe will make 36-48 little Chimichngas. Depends on how heavy handed you are filling them, and how big the chicken parts are. I ended up with 40 this time.

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or sub 4-6 boneless, skinless breasts). You could sub protein like pork, seafood, etc. Just precook it.

2 packets taco seasoning. ! for seasoning chicken, 1 for filling mixture, minus 1 tablespoon.

36+ Flour street taco tortillas. These usually come in packs of 12, and are approximately 3" diameter and a bit thicker than larger tortillas.

1 8oz package of cream cheese - softened

2-3 cups of finely grated pepper jack (Or whatever your favorite cheese(s) is)

1 stick of butter, melted.

Optional hot sauce to taste. Enchilada sauce might be good too.

Season the chicken with 1 packet of taco seasoning place in a foil pan, uncovered. I cooked the chicken in a foil pan on the 14" Weber until the thighs hit 180°. Weber ran at 265° for most of the cook. It was creeping up towards the end. Allow chicken to cool, shred.

For the filling I used my Kitchen aid stand mixer with the paddle blade. Alternate adding chicken, cheese, cream cheese, and last packet of tacos seasoning while running mixer on low speed. If cream cheese balls up to much scrape down with mixer off. If using hot sauce add in while adding other ingredients.

While the mix is coming together melt butter, add reserved tablespoon of taco seasoning.

Once the mixture has come together and is well mixed pre-heat oven to 400°.

Heat 12 tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute to make them more pliable.

Place about 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture on the tortilla. I like to make it look like a small fat cigar. Fold in ends of tortilla at the long end of the mixture, then roll. Place seem side down on parchment lined rimmed sheet tray. If you don't have parchment spray sheet pan.

Repeat process until tray is full. I got all 40 on one sheet.

Liberally brush with seasoned butter. Cook in oven until tops are golden brown. Remove and serve. Cooked and cooled these can be frozen and they reheat nicely for a snack.

I like to serve with fresh guacamole, fresh pico de gallo (recipe below) and sour cream.

Pico de gallo

8 roma tomatoes (bit under ripe or just ripe
1 bunch fresh cilantro (leafs only) chopped
1 small onion diced
2-3 jalapenos finely diced
juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste.

46184480904_739967f837_c.jpg

46857312772_0488e33897_c.jpg

Those sound great Case. You probably need to come to my house and make 30 or 40 of those this Sunday. I'll PM you my address.

Those sound great Case. You probably need to come to my house and make 30 or 40 of those this Sunday. I'll PM you my address.

Thanks Pat!

I’ll be out and about this weekend, but nowhere near your place!

Gonna foncamp in the dirt someplace!

That is some tasty game day food Case. Thank you for sharing the recipe also. I've got my line up pretty well squared away for Sunday, but will be giving these a go in the not too distant future.

Really like that idea of the mini chimichanga and they look great. Barb and I made some full size chimichangas a few nights ago and really liked them baked instead of deep fried. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

We have got to meet!
I will not fit in the car on the way home, I can see that from here!
Those look delightful! I’m not having anyone over for anything in the near future but, I will keep that one on file!

Case, you out did yourself again. Those are awesome.

Thank you Barb! We make these once a month, wife really likes them!

That is some tasty game day food Case. Thank you for sharing the recipe also. I've got my line up pretty well squared away for Sunday, but will be giving these a go in the not too distant future.

Thank you Cliff! I'm not sure if I am going to make anything Sunday or not. I might, but haven't decided. Need to find a new experimental something to make!

Really like that idea of the mini chimichanga and they look great. Barb and I made some full size chimichangas a few nights ago and really liked them baked instead of deep fried. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Thank you Rich! My wife prefers baked everything over fried, so that is what we normally do.

We have got to meet!
I will not fit in the car on the way home, I can see that from here!
Those look delightful! I’m not having anyone over for anything in the near future but, I will keep that one on file!

Thank you Tim! There was so much food at the gathering I took these too I wasn't sure I'd make it home! There was my appetizer, a cheese platter, pickles, olives, salami, drunken beans, jerk chicken, smoked pork roast, deviled eggs, potato salad, three bean salad, and a green salad! All for 10 people! Was stuffed!

Back