Pizza Accessory

Adam Moser

I'd like to start making pizzas on my kettle, so I'm looking for suggestions on the best pizza making accessories. Is the Gourmet BBQ System w/ pizza stone all that I need or should I go all out and get something like the kettle pizza kit? I'd like to get the Gourmet cast iron grate for searing, so if the pizza stone for that works well, that would be great. If it will just make me wish I had something better, I'd rather just buy that first. I've seen several pizza pics on here, so please share your experiences. Thanks.

I tried, and was quite pleased with the results from, basic heavy commercial terra-cotta floor tiles in a single layer on the grate. Dusted with corn meal and they made pretty decent pizzas. Not the caliber I’m seeing from some of these amazing pizza cooks here but, they made me happy.
Since then, I scored a deal on a stack of Pizzaque sets on eBay (maybe three years ago), last fall I socored a well used but very serviceable kettle which I intend to use as a dedicated Pizzaque set up. I don’t think it will happen until summer is nce it’s -12 air temp with a wind chill of -40+ expected for the day!
My point is you need a lot less than you might think. The tiles were leftover from my kitchen floor remodel, I think I used seven to cover the grate, three in the center and two on each side. It was fun, especially for the grandchildren!

I think a lot of people use the Kettle Pizza. I've got the gourmet grate and I've been tempted to try out the pizza stone as well.

If you are going to spend money, then go totally different and buy an uuni 3 (now ooni)
They are absolutely awesome and available 2nd hand.
You then make pizza and flat bread in that, while keeping your kettle free for chicken, beef etc

I have Kettle Pizza's and am quite happy with them. Others have used the Pizza Q, which is less expensive, with great success. You can usually find those on Ebay for a good price. Others have picked up beater kettles (if they didn't have one sitting around already) and with careful use of some power tools, they've modded them by cutting an opening in the lid for launching pizzas.

Im thinking i can make a pizza oven ring for pretty cheap.
Just a ring of steel with an opening.

But...what keeps wsm from rusting away like a grill does where i live, is the lower temperature doesnt burn off grease coating, that protects bare metal. Grill and grates rust away in a couple years due to this.

So, ....id rather make a dedicated pizza oven, and not expose wsm to those temps, it will shorten its life.

Last edited:
Im thinking i can make a pizza oven ring for pretty cheap.
Just a ring of steel with an opening.

But...what keeps wsm from rusting away like a grill does where i live, is the lower temperature doesnt burn off grease coating, that protects bare metal. Grill and grates rust away in a couple years due to this.

So, ....id rather make a dedicated pizza oven, and not expose wsm to those temps, it will shorten its life.
I was big into pizza making a while back and still have my pizza steel, I think I’m going to cut it down a little to fit in my Weber 26 and weld a couple handles on it.

A steel will work way better than a stone and will never break, Key is to get the steel pretty hot like 400 or so so I’m going to see if that’s doable or maybe preheat in the oven first.

I use 1/4” A36 mild steel plate

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like both the Pizzaque and Kettlepizza both have good reviews, so I'll keep an eye out for a deal on one of them. I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a cheap kettle that I've had my eye on, so I'll just dedicate that as the pizza kettle.

The uuni looks awesome, but I'll be looking for a new wife if I get one of those (and she even loves pizza).

The problem with making pizza on the grill is going to be the temp difference from the bottom of pizza to the top. With a fire built under the stone its going to naturally run hotter. The kettle pizza helps with this problem by allowing you go burn wood at about the same height as the pizza, not under it. Then if you get the steel plate it helps hold the heat on the top side. Then you have the fact that you have to make smaller pizza's because your target that you have to hit is small. With fire burning in a narrow spot on the back side of the pizza your going to have to rotate it quite a bit for even cooking.

I have a kettle pizza that I rarely use any more. I can get my oven up to about 625-650 deg F. and have a large 18x16x1.5 stone that I use. Id love to have a real wood fired brick oven. That way the heat is more even from top to bottom and you have a large target / cooking area to hit with the pizza (whole oven floor).

My advise if you want to do awesome pizza time after time, is to start out making them in your oven. That way you have a controlled cooking environment while learning to make pizza. Then once you get it down then start tweeking your dough for use in the kettle pizza.

Back