1st time grinding my own hamburger

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
After readin how much better home ground hamburger can be, I asked for the grinder attachment for my wife’s kitchen aide mixer for Christmas. While at Sams this past weekend, we saw stew beef cubed on sale, and decided it was time to give it a go. I know not the best cuts of meat, but for the first attempt, why not. I didn’t mix with any other meats, or add any fat to it, just groun it once through the coarse and and then once through the fine. I have to say. We were all pleasantly surprised how much we liked it, and will be trying it again real soon! My question is, is 2 time through the grinder standard operating procedure, or is there a better procedure?
Thanks,
Tim

Two grinds is the standard. You'll occasionally find single grind pre-packaged for chili & the like. There are some people who do like single coarse grind for burgers. Try it, what do you have to lose?

The big advantage is you will have complete knowledge & control of what's in your ground meat. Chuck, sirloin, etc., and fat content.

Oh, and clean that grinder as soon as you're done, don't let it start to dry. And pay particular attention to the flutes underneath the feed chute. My grinder had a little molding flash that trapped meat very well, until I managed to trim that down & off.

And BTW when that plastic grinder cracks and it will, look for a Chef's Choice grinder for the KitchenAid or hit me up. I sometimes come across very good or NOS Hobart all metal grinders. I just sold my last one though. Not cheap but worth every penny. Nice thing about the Chef's Choice is it's all stainless and dishwasher safe.

Back