First time burnt ends question

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
So after seeing the post about all the possibilities of a chuck roast, my wife and I picked up a 2pack at sams the other day and decided to try the faux burnt ends. I have to say, they tasted great, and were a hit among my family, so I will be doing them again soon. My question is, after you cut them into cubes and give them a bbq sauce bath, do you guys immediately serve, or put back on the smoker for a short time? I followed the recipe in the cooking topics and served immediately after saucing, but I’ve seen pics where it looks like the burnt ends were put back on the smoker. Just curious and thanks in advance for the input.
Tim

I never make them but I have cooked some chuck roasts and sliced them like a brisket. The reason to put them back on the smoker is mostly to tack up the sauce and possibly to render more fat if necessary (on a fatty brisket point). If you liked them I wouldn't worry about it.

So after seeing the post about all the possibilities of a chuck roast, my wife and I picked up a 2pack at sams the other day and decided to try the faux burnt ends. I have to say, they tasted great, and were a hit among my family, so I will be doing them again soon. My question is, after you cut them into cubes and give them a bbq sauce bath, do you guys immediately serve, or put back on the smoker for a short time? I followed the recipe in the cooking topics and served immediately after saucing, but I’ve seen pics where it looks like the burnt ends were put back on the smoker. Just curious and thanks in advance for the input.
Tim

Would love to try this. Where is the post on making burnt ends from a chuck roast? Was their a recipe?

I dont make them either.
But my impression is eirh brisket you want to render some more fat out of point, and make outside candy like....sticky...blackened harder edges, etc. Hence the burnt ends.

To me, if pull brisket optimally for flat, the point is done, but still may be too fatty for some, very rich. Others say point get done first....in tenderness yes. But it can be too fatty still imo. Ive put point back on whole to get some fat out after separating from flat.

Last edited:

Back