WSM or Cajun Bandit Conversion Kit

R Baggett

I presently have 22 premium kettle with a Slow n Sear that I use for grilling or small smokes like loins, tri-tip or a couple of racks of ribs. I have a PBC that I use for larger quanities or larger cuts of meat, but I’m not happy with the consistency of the PBC. I’m considering the WSM 18.5 or the kettle conversion kit by Cajun Bandit. Has anyone had any experience with the conversion kit or should I spend the extra $100 on the WSM. All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I have a Smoke EZ conversion kit for my kettle (similar to the CB, not currently in production). I also have an 18.5" WSM. It's easier to regulate temps on the WSM (not that it's hard with the kit), but the extra space of the conversion kit is great when cooking a couple of big briskets. I used the Smoke EZ for a couple of years exclusively because I needed a new door and grates for the WSM and just got lazy. I got great results and had no complaints. Rehabbed the WSM last year and now I mostly use it. If you don't need the extra space the kettle kit gives you, get the WSM. If you feel you need the extra space, get the kit or a 22" WSM. Good luck!

BTW, I'm surprised to hear you're having consistency problems with the PBC. That's one of the positives people list when reviewing it.

Thanks for the response, Lew. I’m leaning toward the kit. Do you feel like the WSM gives you a longer smoke without adding charcoal? I know adding charcoal looks like a bigger pain with the CB kit. The PBC is great for chicken and ribs, but my cook times seem to vary quite a bit on butts and brisket.

If you use minion method, you shouldn't have to add charcoal on the 18.5 wsm. I've got no experience with the cajun bandit though. I've got the 22.5 wsm and I've rarely had to had charcoal on long cooks. Occasionally I've had to on a very cold windy day, but you can just open the door and toss some in.

The Smoke EZ uses a variation of the snake method; I get about 10-12 hours before having to add briquettes. I get 14-16 hours with my WSM; never had to add fuel. Times are based on cooking 250-275. Adding fuel to the Smoke EZ is easy since you just extend the snake. Not sure about the CB kit, but having to add fuel once in a while should not be a deal breaker. Long cooks are a breeze either way.

Thanks for the input guys. From everything l’ve read it sounds like the WSM is hard to beat for smoking but either choice would be ok. I’d really like the Weber summit charcoal, but that might cost me house access, lol.

Back