Cold weather/rain insulator/jacket for WSM 22

Tom Wray

Am tired of Ohio cold temps, wind and rain driving down my WSM 22 temps. Have messed around with homemade windscreens, frankly I'm too lazy to build a real-deal hinged plywood + bells and whistles setup that I would have to store. To make this problem go away am about to drop $130 on a BBQ Guru Custom Insulator Jacket for the WSM 22. Check it out here: https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?ProductId=81

Yea it's pricey, but makes a lot of sense, I can fold it up and stash....Before I do so, anyone have experience/feedback with one of these things?

Thanks for your thoughts....

I would probably have bought one--regardless of knowing others' feedback--but we have a walkout basement with an overhead deck, so I used the deck posts to attach three tarps to create side panels and made a frame from PVC tubing to hold a fourth, overhead tarp. We live in a rural area, and the wife has little-to-no complaints, so I feel very fortunate to have this setup. It works beautifully for smoking and grilling. Last night, I fired-up the grill for Ribeye steaks and didn't even wear a coat. If I did not have this setup I would have purchased one of those blankets.

Yea, I was thinking on buying one and a ATC after my first year, but I don't do alot of overnites or L&S .
I normally do HH smokes when it's cold out and I set up in a sheltered area with a roof overhead.
That being said, the big boy WSM is a fuel hog on warm days, so using that would most certainly cut down your fuel consumption and maintain steady temps.

Tim

You are indeed lucky to have that structure. I'm an open, unroofed back porch...

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, think I"m going to bite the bullet and get it....thanks for your reply

I've been eying the below 0 temps and pondering some sort of shelter. I think it has to be large enough so I can squeeze in for a warm up.

I use a water heater blanket from the hardware store in the cold. In the rain an EZ up screwed down to the deck works well. The Guru jacket is nice and I love the company so I wouldn't hesitate with any of their products. Quality stuff and great customer service.

I have the jacket for the 18" along with their older ATC.

34206867790_8aeaf56a42_b.jpg

In my opinion it is well worth it if you live in the North. Or rain. With the ATC I could likely get by without it but it does help on fuel consumption so have best of both worlds.

Back