Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermocouple variation -defect?

TVWBB Fan
    Well despite whatever seems to be going on with the sine wave, I put the new thermocouple in the oven and it behaved in a Rocksteady fashion. This should make controlling the smoker easier. The Auber thermocouple is fairly small diameter and responsive, way more responsive than the thermistor probe from thermoworks or Maverick. What I have found so far is it trying to control off of those thermistor probes is poorer then a thermocouple because of the added lag time of the higher Mass probe.

TVWBB Fan
    And the pit test is successful. since I had some coals left for last night I just lit them again with a propane torch, and let it heat up to check things out. It's an order of magnitude less variation on the thermocouple. Yahoo!

Control is now basically a few tenths of a degree.

I still get some stray spikes of maybe even up to 5 to 20 degrees, but they are momentary and don't effects control. You can see them on the trend however.

So again I'll plug the Auber thermocouple as being a pretty good cheap option. Much better than the one I had at least.
    Last edited by MartinB; 02-09-2019 at 05:08 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    Awesome news! I actually make my own thermocouples. It's an easy deal. Just have to have a way of welding the tips of the two wires together on K-Type wire. I have an old Jewelry spot welder I bought on ebay cheap as chips.

And NO, I'm not selling them.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by WBegg View Post
    Awesome news! I actually make my own thermocouples. It's an easy deal. Just have to have a way of welding the tips of the two wires together on K-Type wire. I have an old Jewelry spot welder I bought on ebay cheap as chips.

And NO, I'm not selling them.
    You can see the occasional split-second spikes in this screenshot

Contrast this with the control of last night's ribs

TVWBB Pro
    That's still some frequent spikes. I get those maybe 1 an hour? My solution is to hit the refresh button and they go away. It's the same thing i do with my truck. When it makes a noise I can't figure out, I just turn my stereo up louder. I have a bigger stereo now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12