Kettle temps ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I saw this on YT and Ry is using a vortex to indirect chicken legs. He gets his Kettle temp up to 415* and says he can get it higher. He measures the temp at cooking grate level with a remote. I use a vortex. I measure my temps at grate level with a Tel Tru gauge thermo and I've also used a remote. I can not recall ever getting temps over 375*.

Is just me, or has anyone gotten those high temps ? If so, how are you doing that ?

BTW, this sweet/sour chicken legs Ry does, look great ! I'm gonna do this cook.

The only time I've measured my grate temp was once when there was a similar discussion on this thread: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72746-Vortex-VS-Weber-Charcoal-Baskets/page6&highlight=vortex

Looks like I recorded 408*f-419f 1" above grate and 1" from the outer edge on a 12* day. Beyond that one time, my only reference is the stock Kettle thermo, which always climbs beyond 500f and sometimes above 600f. I don't recall the exact sizes that I have but for both my 22" and 26" Kettles I'm using the "oversized" Vortex.

I don't always do this but when I want the highest-possible heat I divide my KBB between two chimneys (where each is half full) and dump into the Vortex once I see the top coals beginning to ash.

When I want a hot kettle, I use my firebricks. Stand them on edge, fill them to the top with charcoal, throw on several fully lit coals. It'll get north of 450 easily

The only time I've measured my grate temp was once when there was a similar discussion on this thread: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72746-Vortex-VS-Weber-Charcoal-Baskets/page6&highlight=vortex

Looks like I recorded 408*f-419f 1" above grate and 1" from the outer edge on a 12* day. Beyond that one time, my only reference is the stock Kettle thermo, which always climbs beyond 500f and sometimes above 600f. I don't recall the exact sizes that I have but for both my 22" and 26" Kettles I'm using the "oversized" Vortex.

I don't always do this but when I want the highest-possible heat I divide my KBB between two chimneys (where each is half full) and dump into the Vortex once I see the top coals beginning to ash.

With a vortex, dome temps are gonna be that high.

- - - Updated - - -

When I want a hot kettle, I use my firebricks. Stand them on edge, fill them to the top with charcoal, throw on several fully lit coals. It'll get north of 450 easily

That's on the indirect seection of the grill ? Or over the coals ?

I have never even thought to get the grate temperature while using the Vortex. I know it's plenty hot in there.

With my JJ I've hit 415 at the grate level. Using the performer I can just hit 400, but with being at 5400 ft. in altitude I think that's pretty good.

I have never even thought to get the grate temperature while using the Vortex. I know it's plenty hot in there.

I've always recorded cooking grate temps. I put a Tel Tru on my Kettle years ago and it measures about 2 " above the outside grate. I never thought the dome temp was worth much, and especially when using a vortex.

Here's a bad pic of both a Mav remote and the Tel Tru measuring grate temps.

WvzezLc.jpg

If I throw a full chimney in and with the vents wide open I know it has to be over 400, but I haven't really checked it with a digital. With my little tel-tru it's hitting it, but the tel-tru is in the dome. I find my tel-tru is pretty accurate at low temps, when I actually care what it reads. I know the vortex in most cases is going to be blasting heat right at the thermometer so there's no way it's accurate.

I used my vortex for the first time last weekend. Did chicken legs and thighs. Bottom vents on 22" kettle wide open and top half way closed. Let it go 30 minutes and the skin was burned pretty bad. Doing wings this weekend. Going to try closing bottom vents half way also this time. Guess need to check temp this time.

The first time I used my Vortex, July 26, 2017, I put the Maverick probe in there about 2 inches from the edge of the kettle. The Vortex was about 3/4 full of flaming KBB. All vents wide open.

In my log I recorded the temp twice. When I put the wings on it was 480° and 33 minutes later I removed the wings and the reading was 490°. The wings were great but I made a note in my log. "Never fill the Vortex more than 1/3 rd full" and that's what I do. I haven't checked the Vortex grate temp since that cook.

Back