Going big on 3rd cook, need advice.

J Lee

Hi,

I’m hosting a super bowl party for a bunch of military families, and I’ve only made two things on my 18” WSM (a single chicken and a single rack of ribs, both using the beginners methods from this page).

For this third cook I want to do a brisket and three racks of ribs. I figure I’ll do the 12 hour method on the brisket, but can I just pop the ribs in with six hours to go and be relatively ok? Or will that introduction of more cool meat and the lifting of the hood for a few minutes really expand my cooking time?

I wouldn’t be opposed to doing the ribs Saturday and the brisket on Sunday if that’s the only way to keep my cook time around 12 hours.

I havent done that

I suspect it will. Placing 9 lbs of 40 degree meat in will definitely change temp in smoker.

A pork butt will feed more people, and take about same time as brisket, and can be far cheaper than ribs too

Ribs can be very messy to eat , sandwiches are ez

All items need access to them , check for tenderness, wrap, spritz, etc. Having items on lower grate will complicate it, and really extend open times, upsetting temps. Having a good war plan would be beneficial. And then...theres the stall. Planning for a party to have it done....id plan to have brisket done several hrs in advance , wrapped, in a cooler just so nothing overruns. You can cook ribs in a couple hrs once brisket is off too. They only take 3-4 hrs.

Last edited:
Brisket & Ribs is a tough dual cook. A butt and ribs would be easier, and go well together

I did brisket & St. Louis for a Fourth of July party a few years ago on my 22.5 WSM. One thing to realize is that once you wrap your protein, your WSM is basically an oven because you're no longer getting any smoke on the meat.. So (and I know it's heresy to some) once I got the brisket ready to wrap, I finished it in the oven which gave me plenty of room to play with the ribs on the WSM. Don't forget to include some time for the brisket to rest in a cooler when planning you overall cook times.

BD

BD

I would do it opposite. Cook the brisket on Saturday,and ribs on Sunday . Being your first brisket,it "might' take longer than you think. If it does,the only way to help it along is turn up the heat. And you have people waiting fot your brisket to get done.
I would cook it Saturday,and put it in the fridge till Sunday. Get some of those disposable foil pans. Wait to slice it till 2 or 3 hours before you are ready to eat. Slice it cold,and stack it back together like it was before you sliced it. Put it in the disposable foils pans,and dribble some apple juice/and or BBQ sauce on it. Cover the pans with foil and pop in the oven at 250 for an hour or 2. While cooking the ribs on the smoker.
Might not be the perfect way. But there are less things to go wrong. Just how i would do it. :)
And I agree. Once you wrap the brisket,just finish it in the oven.

Back